Butterflies Broken

After all this time, after waiting four long years, you finally acquired what you'd truly desired. You finally confessed to them. You finally told them how you'd felt. Luckily for you, they'd felt the same way. They made you feel a love that you had never understood before. They opened your eyes to a whole new world. 

Every "Good Morning" and "Good night" text, every "I love you," "Forever and always," and "We're simply meant to be," filled you with butterflies. They always told you how stunning you are and how you mean the world to them. They always knew how to make you happy when you were feeling down, they knew how to make you flustered and blushing.

Soon enough, your parents find out. They don't approve because of the age difference. They don't care how long you had loved each other, they don't care about anything else you'd try to say. They tell you that they don't approve because you're three years apart and the other person is a legal adult. For a while, things continue how they had been. Until that day when their parents decide to veto the idea also. Ultimately ending up splitting you apart.

You don't call but maybe once a month anymore. You hardly can get them to respond to a text, barely ever hearing a "good morning," or "goodnight." Never being able to hear the words, "I love you," anymore. All the butterflies you were feeling are hardly ever seen again.

They tell you they'll wait for you. They've always been good at keeping their word. Something inside you tells you otherwise. Surely enough, someone messages them barely even a week or two later. They approach you on the subject and ask if you mind. You break down, right there, on the camera. They see how badly that has just hurt you and so they say that they may not even do things because they don't want a relationship with anyone other than you. 

Communication cuts down even more. Maybe one decent conversation in a whole week. You're not sure how much longer they'll go before they find someone else. You don't know what to think, or how to feel, you just want to run to them and hold them tightly and never have to let go. You wish things could be different. Things will be better, it just takes time. That's what you tell yourself at least.