Chapter Seven: Dead Calm

Warnings: mentions of drugs and guns. mentions of abuse. JJ has a breakdown

"That's 50 feet down, and they're using 100-feet rope." Kie tilts the paper, looking at it.

I peer over her shoulder, tilting my head. "So I guess this little wagon will go..." I pause, laughing. "Straight to the gold room."

"Who drew this?" Sarah snorts.

"Who do you think?" I laugh, looking at Pope.

"This better work." JJ sighs, dropping the gold bar into the bowl.

"We can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it." I laugh. "It's gonna work."

🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein." JJ scoffs, holding the glob of gold in his hand.

"Like you could've done better." I huff, shoving his shoulder.

"I could have." He defends. "I took a welding class."

I roll my eyes, walking into the pawnshop. Kie and I look around with Sarah as JJ makes his way to the counter, John B and Pope standing awkwardly in the doorway.

You'd think after knowing JJ for nearly half our lives, we'd know that his lies aren't always the best. Sure, he's the best at SELLING a lie but when it comes to thinking of them, he sucks.

🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌 🏄 🌊 🚌

"So they keep money out here?" Pope frowns as JJ drives, looking out the front window.

"That's what she said." JJ hums, laughing to himself. "That's what she said." He giggles.

"Stop." I smack his arm.

"I've never even heard of Resurrection Drive." Sarah pipes up from the backseat.

"Cause you're rich." JJ glances at her in the rearview mirror.

"You've never heard of it either." Kie rolls her eyes. "There's nothing but weeds back here."

"All right, just cause it's just weeds, doesn't mean it's, like..." JJ trails off, all of our heads shooting up as sirens sound through the air.

"Cops? Out here?" I frown.

"God! Are you kidding me?" JJ smacks the steering wheel in frustration.

"What did we do?" Sarah looks at John B. "Why are we getting pulled over?"

"Stash that." JJ grabs the gold, shoving it into Pope's hands.

Pope starts to panic, fumbling to open the glove box.

"Chill, guys." I hiss.

"Put it–" JJ shoves Pope.

"I hate cops," Pope mutters, shoving the gold into the glove box.

"Did you bring the gun?" I whisper to JJ.

"No. Okay?" JJ whispers back, setting a comforting hand on my arm; his rings cooling my skin slightly. "Everybody told me to leave it back at the place."

"Thank god." I let out a breath, resting my hand on top of his.

"He's walking up..." Pope warns.

"Sir..." JJ starts, rolling down the window.

"Why don't I go ahead and see them hands in the air?" Barry smirks, cocking his gun in JJ's face. "All y'all's hands up in the air now!"