Chapter Thirty-Six

This time, Jace moved easily between the hoard of stupefied jocks, startled fans and stunned groupies.

This time, with Kody at his side, there was no pressing bodies or clawing fingers or gnashing teeth. The lifeless clones were all moving, shifting out of their way, as the two boys prowled into their ranks. Eyes were darting away, murmurs stumbling into quiet, when Jace lifted his head high and challenged every one of their open-mouthed stares. He didn't say a word-

And neither did they.

Jace simply quirked a brow, his lips curving into that patented smirk, until their heads all slowly bowed.

He didn't look back once, as they both crossed the patio. He didn't stop moving, didn't stop breathing, as they both skirted the now-dull poolside and avoided the now-empty dance floor. He boycotted the ivy-woven staircase and instead continued along a lantern-strewn pathway lined with trimmed hedges and pristine plants. It would curve eventually, winding around the side of the Jones' house and leading onto their private, wooden cabin. Hopefully, it would be empty this early on in the evening-

And if it wasn't, it soon would be.

His smirk dissolved, his shoulders finally unwinding, as the two of them slipped around the corner and left the rest of the party behind them. His phone was relentless, buzzing again and again in his pocket. But Jace didn't catch any heavy footfalls or angry voices suddenly tearing after them; nor did he worry about that tell-tale flash of a phone within the shadows all twirling around them. The only sound Jace cared about was the faint humming of the speakers growing quieter and quieter, amidst the rhythmic thump-thump of Nikes and combat boots walking in tandem. The only light he needed was the golden glow of the lanterns, all evenly dotted along the edge of the path, guiding their way.

For now, Jace didn't care or need or want for anything else.

For now, it was just the two of them. For now, it was just him and Kody.

Jace glanced at that stoic, silent profile out of the corner of his eye slyly. He traced those serious, dark eyebrows that only softened when his Fighter smiled or laughed. He followed that straight nose, those proud cheekbones, and the full lips that were slowly curving into a grin-

"I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word 'subtle,' golden boy."

Busted.

Jace rolled his eyes, even as his lips twisted into a helpless smile. "I'll have you know I was the goddamn King of subtle. And then I met you..."

"And then you met me," Kody drawled. "You're not pinning this on me, friend. I promised not to cause a scene tonight, but I'm thinkin' Quinn should have had his talk with you instead."

Jace snorted at that. "Oh, trust me. Quinn's had plenty of his 'talks' with me, but I think we both know I'm a lost cause. Christ," he snickered. "You can imagine the shit he's saying about us right now-"

"-about you, you mean. I'm totally innocent this time-"

"-he'll be twitchin' and frettin' and cluckin' away, driving the rest of our table fuckin' mental, until we make it back safely." Jace shook his head, his voice teasing when he continued; "I'm only surprised he hasn't hunted us down already, volunteering himself as back-up on our mission."

"Mission," Kody repeated with a bark of laughter. His voice echoed along the pathway as he said, "You two are so fuckin' weird, honestly. I don't know how the rest of Deanville doesn't see it."

"Three words," Jace quipped. "King. Of. Subtle."

Kody was still laughing as he said, "Right." He tucked his hands into the pockets of his oversized, black sweatshirt and smirked. "That'll be Savannah's doing, anyway – the reason Quinn's not third-wheeling us right now. She, uh," he cleared his throat. "Surprisingly, she actually kinda likes you and thinks there are worse people I could be, uh, friends with."