Chapter 1 - The Proposal

The moment Scott Dunbar, my best friend-slash-best man, and I set foot at our favorite café, we could already smell the soothing aroma of their best selling roasted coffee. This has been our favorite spot since college years. Alyssa and I often come here to celebrate small and huge events of our lives, too.

"The usual?" asked the girl that always happen to be our waitperson.

"Yes, please, the usual." Scott replied with a naughty wink. The girl gave Scott a coquettish smile.

As the waitperson leaves, Scott and I shared an embellished, brotherly laugh. Then, all of a sudden, my phone is ringing. I looked at the screen to see who it is, but it was an unregistered number.

"Hello?" I say as I answered my phone, "Who's this, please?"

"Is this Mr. Lahey?" asked the person from the other line.

"Yes?" I confirmed.

"Sir, I think you'd like to come visit us, immediately..." my heart was shaking as I hear those words.

I left the place without telling Scott.

* * *
Earlier today, my plan to propose to Alyssa happened. In the middle of Katrina's birthday, I did what I have to do.

The DJ was playing an upbeat music, suddenly, the music changed from upbeat to slow. Romantic, just as planned. Everyone was dancing with their dates. In the middle of the song, I asked Alyssa to dance with me, then so we dance.

Right before the song ended, the music stopped. Everybody moved out from the dance-floor, and gave some space.

"What are they doing?" Alyssa asked.

"Just watch, Aly." I answered.

The spotlight was striking at us. Alyssa was in a state of bewilderment. Scott gave me my cue, and then I got on my knees.

I gave Alyssa a smile.

She was wheezing, I can say that she was nervous, and that she knows what's happening.

So, I brought out the ring.

"Alyssa, I know that after all these years that we've been together, we were happy," She was nodding, as if agreeing. "and I want to be happy with you for the rest of my life." as I say those words, she started crying. "Alyssa, I want to take your hands for marriage. Will you, Alyssa Whitemore, please marry me?" I finally said it.

She was crying, but she summoned herself to stop and fixed herself. Then, she said. "Christian, it is my greatest privilege to spend my entire life with you." I was getting nervous as hell. "So, YES, I will marry you."

* * *
I was driving my car. I could not help but to remember the conversation I had from the call I received. That call was to tell me that Alyssa was on an accident, and that she could barely survived. As soon as the news got into me, I went directly to the hospital the doctor told me.

As I arrived at the hospital, I could feel my entire body trembling. I, hastily, approached the doctor that called me.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"She's in the emergency room, we have to give her..." He was answering me, but I took off and went to the emergency room.

There she is, lying on her bed. Numerous amount of tubes connected to her body, yet you could still see her fathomless beauty. But, why? Among anyone who could experience this, why her?