Chapter 2: Ups And Downs

As we reached the last bend of our journey, the huge wheel was standing there tall and gracefully, ever so slowly spinning. The sun had  made its way behind the wheel allowing  there to be the most mesmerising site, the raise of light seemed to reach towards us leading us to the Eye.

Mum clearly didn’t see it like that, her hands were shaking violently, her face blanketed with a cold sweat, the teeth digging in to her bottom lip drew blood. Grabbing her knee gently, I spoke softly,

“Mum? Are you okay?”

Taking a deep breath in mum forced a smile and wiped the sweat from her brow,

“Of course I am, why wouldn’t I be?” she said questioning her self more than me, I simply shrugged. 

As soon as we pulled up I leaped out of the car in a burst of excitement, dragging my mum closer and closer. Like a young child at a petting zoo, I couldn’t calm down, stopping suddenly, I realised there was a huge line.

To my disappointment we were stood there for about an hour before we reached the front, although to me it felt like years.

As we entered the pod Mum latched on to the outer railing, digging her nails in she closed her eyes. At this point I knew the “rumour” was true. Feeling rather nervous myself I held onto her hand tightly, 

“It’ll be okay mum” I said reassuringly.-

-She opened her eyes to find we were rather high up, she leaped back in fear falling on the people behind, turning away from mum’s incident, I took in the beautiful surroundings, for a second I completely forgot about why I was here and reached into my bag, to find my journal and pen. I sat there and began to write my emotions.

October 12th 2009 01:32pm;

Dear Diary, the sight is wonderful I’ve never seen such an array of colours. It is so big… whoa our house is out there somewhere. What if I get lost one day, I might never find my way home,….

Turning away I remembered the exact reason I was here. My mum… she was bundling around like a baby deer. I grabbed her hand and pulled her from the edge of the pod. Looking in her eyes I began to calm her down.

“Mum we’re okay, we’re safe, nothing is going to happen” My words were spoken softly in attempt to calm her down completely, she looked at me terrified… That was when I knew I had taken it to far. Opening my Diary once again.

…I’ve taken it way to far, a fear isn’t to be played with, sure most fears can’t necessarily hurt you, but you might wind up hurting yourself in a wild panic…I don’t think I will be using her fear to my advantage, I feel bad enough as it is. In any case I think I have calmed her down now.

Memo;

Don’t Use Peoples Fear To Your Entertainment.

As the pod began its descent I griped my mum tightly as it -

-began to creek and wobble!

“Mum!” I screamed as I grabbed the railing, the floor began to collapse in “Help!”

“Hold On Sophie, please help anyone” Mum cried out.

People all around us began to fall into the gaping hole, as I looked down it was no longer London bellow us, but instead a never ending void. Soon my fingers began to slip and I began falling, my heart skipped a beat as I saw my mum for what I imagined to be the last time, “Sophie please, no!” Mum bellowed,

“Mum! N…” I cried out before disappearing into the fiery depths bellow.