Chapter 2. Flight

“Calypso Sutton!”

I shook my head, my curls moving. “Huh? Sorry, I was reading.”

“Off in your own little world, hmm?” my 3rd-grade teacher, Mrs. Jacoby sighed. I bit my lip and looked down as my classmates snickered.

“Yeah,” I muttered.

“Could you be able to tell me what I was discussing with the class?” Mrs. Jacoby asked, raising an eyebrow. I shook my head.

Nyxia put her arm around me. She was my best friend. I smiled at the gesture.

Mrs. Jacoby checked the time. “Oh. Class, it’s time for morning recess! Line up quietly, please!” she called. My class quickly got to their spots, excited for their break from learning.

I scrunched my curls in line. The students moved to the playground.

Raven had already dropped the pouch. He was hiding behind a bush, waiting to see the lucky soul who picked up the golden contents.

I waited for the playground aides to release my class, along with the two other classes that had joined in. I raced into the grass as soon as I was able to, going toward a tree. Nyxia followed.

“What story do we have today, Caly?”

“Oh, this is one that you’re going to like, Ny-” I started to say until I saw something shiny on the ground. I stopped in my tracks and picked up the item.

It was a small, golden pouch. I opened it.

Nyxia raised an eyebrow. “Why are you looking at your hand?”

“What? You don’t see it?” I asked in surprise.

“See what? Oh, is this the start of your story?”

I gulped. What was going on? Was Nyxia messing with me, or…

… was I the only one who could see the pouch?

I put the necklace on around my neck. I put the bracelet on my wrist. Maybe Nyxia would see it now?

“How do they look?” I asked, a smile on my face.

“How does what look? What are you talking about?” Nyxia asked, extremely confused.

“The, uh, necklace and bracelet! The imaginary ones…”

“Oh! They look simply divine!”

We giggled. I walked over to the fence, looking at a bush.

Raven smirked. A good view of his target. He watched as the girl let out a sigh.

I heard something. Someone was saying my name.

“Calypso… Calypso Sutton…” a man said, stepping out from behind a tree that was beyond the fence.

“Who are you?” I asked, my heart starting to pound. What was going on?

“I am Oleander. I need you to listen very carefully. You have been chosen as leader of a team of superheroes. A villain is on the rise, Calypso, and it’s up to your team to defeat him.”

“A villain? What’s his name?”

“He goes by Black Raven. Do you see that necklace and bracelet? Those are what gave you your superpowers. Now, in order to activate your powers, you need to say three little words. ‘Fly, Your Name, Fly!’” Oleander said.

“Right now?”

“I would advise against it unless Black Raven comes to attack you. That probably won’t happen for a while. You don’t want your secret exposed, do you?”