Truth

The girl was eight. She took her friend to the tree house in the forest. She told him they should see who could throw the most rocks in the river. She watched carefully as he shoved rocks into his coat pockets. They climbed the tree house that hung over the deepest part of the river. When he stood at the very edge, leaning out the door to throw the first rock, the girl pushed him. He shouted in shock before hitting the water. The girl climbed down the ladder slowly, taking her time. He reached up and called her name, struggling against the weight of the rocks. It would have been simple to pull him out. Instead, the girl plunged his head under the rushing water and held him there until he stopped fighting. She walked back to the outskirts of the village. She brought the family to the boy's bloated, blue corpse. The girl watched his parents hold him and sob. She never cried.

The girl was ten. Her new friend told the girl about her fear of birds. A terrifying thought took root in the girl's mind. Early in the morning, she spread bird seeds around the edges of a field in the woods. Later, she took the blue-eyed girl back to the field. Crows soon gathered. The girl pulled out a syringe she stole from the local doctor and injected the blue-eyed girl with a clear liquid. The doctor had told the girl about using it for difficult surgeries, and she took it because she thought it might be useful. The blue-eyed girl was so terrified of the crows she barely noticed. After she passed out, the girl took out the knife she brought with her. She plunged the blade in both of the girl's blue eyes. Then the girl turned the knife on herself. She threw the syringe and knife in the river to hide the evidence. The girl brought the doctor and the parents to the field and told them the blue-eyed girl was so scared that she fainted. When the eyeless girl awoke, she shrieked. Her world would be forever dark. The girl looked on quietly. She never cried.

The girl was thirteen. Her friend was going to be home alone, and his parents wanted the girl to make sure he didn't hurt himself. When his sister died, he blamed himself and told the girl he didn't know how long he could go on without her. His parents left them alone. The girl asked him if he wanted to apologize to his sister. He told her he would give anything to see her again. The girl took a knife from the kitchen and told him he'd have his chance. She was going to make it look like suicide. She would tell them he did it while she wasn't paying attention. But they came home. They walked in while the girl was pressing the blade against his throat. That was the mistake.

They called her a demon. She killed all her closest friends with no remorse. The parents of the children she murdered and mutilated screamed at her in rage and despair. Her own parents stared at her like a monster as she recounted her crimes, and they asked how the girl could do something so terrible. They couldn't understand. No one did. They didn't see what she saw in the faces of the people she hurt. Their sense of right and wrong blinded them from seeing the beauty of it. The girl could still hear it echo in her mind, the raw pain and grief in their screams. That moment when everything fell apart and they knew it would never be the same. The girl left the village, but she didn't care. She didn't mind being a monster in someone else's eyes. She didn't feel any pain when her parents chased her away from home themselves. If what she did made her inhuman, she wanted nothing more than to become a demon.