Chapter 2: Return to Sender

Subaru and Beatrice watched in awe as they starred the gray haired boy twisting himself around in his work. What is more incredible is that the boy did not notice the two walking closer to him, at a steady rhythm as Subaru and Beatrice connected their footsteps as their heartbeats. It is almost shocking on how far the two have already grown in the past week. The first day was tough, the first week was trivial.

[Subaru] Hey Otto, what are you doing over there? You need some help with---OTTO!

Regardless if Subaru wanted to help the poor fool, a short orange haired girl came rushing out of a doorway. She immediately collided with Otto and fell to the ground, sobbing in tears as Otto fell to one knee after being slammed by the door.

[???] Oww---owwie! Ottoto-san! Watch where you are going... ow--owwwieee!

[Otto] What do you mean watch where I'm going? You caused this, Petra-sama!"

[Petra] I... I... Oh! Do you need any help?! I'll help you pick up those papers!

[Otto] Nah... It's fine. I got it, Petra-sama. Just make sure you watch where you're going. I don't want something like this to happen to Garfiel of all people, you know?

[Petra] Garfiel-sama is a nice person! There is no way he would do that, right Subaru?

[Otto] Subaru..?

Subaru and Beatrice continued to hold hands as the scene played out. Both of them noticed that Otto completely ignored the warning before the accident occured. It was then the moment Otto looked at Subaru that they finally realized why it was so.

[Subaru] Garfiel has grown a lot from a week ago, but he might still have a temper once in a while. An unprovoked attack such as that might drive anyone into a frenzy. I would be glad that you did this to someone as weak as Otto, one who couldn't counter attack.

[Otto] Are you kidding me right now?! Whose side are you even on anymore?!

[Petra] I guess you're right, Subaru! I guess I was lucky running into the weakest Ottoto-san! EEEPPPP! No time to talk anymore! I need to go---uh---that-a-ways!

Petra immediately flees down the hallway and out of sight of the trio of friends. Subaru and Beatrice then help Otto retrieve the papers that fell from his black folder.

[Otto] You guys really didn't have to help with this you know. I could have done it my---

[Subaru] Nonsense. Remember when you punched me for trying everything myself?

[Otto] ...I... I guess you have a fair point. It would be hypocritical of me to say other---

[Beatrice] It appears that someone is coming closer, I suppose. I sense anger in them.

Subaru could tell that his grip with Beatrice was becoming tighter by the second as the two continued to conversate. But as soon as he was about to comment on that, Beatrice had opened her lips and broadcasted those words to him and Otto. Subaru looked into the doorway that Petra had rushed out of and saw another smaller hallway.

Living in this mansion for the past week, Subaru could tell that this hallway led to the Dining Hall where he seemingly thought Petra was supposed to be at this time of hour. It was only four hours past noon, a prime time to get ready for supper preparations. As he scanned his eyes further into the hallway, he saw a shadow of someone rather tall, almost in similar height to the boy on his side that twitched his shoulders around. All three of them knew who this shadow belonged to and it was---

[???] You know what happens when you do something unforgivable, Petra! You need---

The voice of a feminie figure echoed through the hallway, absorbing into the trio's ear space. Her voice could crush boulders if one was caught off guard, and her tone carried more motion that the worst tsunami Subaru has ever heard back from Japan.