Chapter Four: Garden of Eden

9 am

May

Half awake and half sleep, I remained in bed slipping in and out of consciousness.

I avoided sunlight at all costs.

It's Sunday, so I have church. I attend the noon services, the morning services are too early for me.

I planned to stay in bed for another ten minutes because this has been the best sleep I've been getting in a long time. But when I noticed August was gone, I sighed, and got out of bed and headed to the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth and washed my face, feeling completely drained of all energy suddenly.

I don't know why I'm so disappointed. He's a celebrity now, he has no time to fondle me everyday. I should just get used to it.

I was abruptly knocked out of my thoughts when I heard a loud noise that seemed to be coming from my kitchen.

I walked slowly to my kitchen, pleasantly surprised when I seen August.

Beside him on the floor was shattered glass.

"What happened?", I said with a laugh while walking to the closet getting the broom.

"This little nigga popped up out of nowhere, rubbing against my leg and shit.", he said while pointing to Fury.

My eyes shifted from August to Fury, as I stared at the small gray kitten that just meowed at me.

I looked back at August and then at Fury again and then started to laugh uncontrollably.

"August, he's just a kitten. He meant no harm.", I said trying to hold in my laughter.

August took the broom from me and began to sweep the glass up. "I don't care, the nigga needs to learn some manners."

"August, he is a kitten. What manners could he possibly learn?"

"He need to learn how to introduce himself properly and not sneak up on niggas. You know niggas got popped for that back in the nola.", he said seriously.

I giggled at his silliness.

"I thought you left August.", I said walking towards him.

"Nah. I wouldn't just up and leave you without saying goodbye. I know how much you hate that shit.", he said while staring at me.

I smiled slightly.

He got rid of the glass and I watched him intently. He was fully dressed and looked as if he'd been up for hours.

"You got plans for today?", he asked me.

I nodded. "I have to attend the afternoon service at church."

He nodded slightly.

"And then I have a doctors appointment?", I added.

"On a Sunday?"

I nodded.

"For what?"

I hesitated. "Just a check up.", I said uneasily.

He titled his head slightly. It seemed as if he didn't believe me but he asked no further questions.

Instead he stared at me as I stood a couple feet away from him.

"Come here baby.", he said before wrapping his arms around me.
I wrapped my arms around him and quickly remembered how being close to him made me feel.

Death doesn't exist when we're close.
When we are close, I stumble into a world where the earth is calm and love is free to reign.

Like The Garden of Eden.