Chapter 4

Chapter 4

*Adrian’s POV*

I never realized how much hate you can get if your phone starts blowing up in the movie theater.

It was a rainy day in Palm Springs. And by rainy, I mean water falling from the sky at the speed of light, making it impossible to see more than 2 feet in front of you. Perfect day to get in the car and risk your life trying to drive to the movies, right?  If it was up to me, I would be at home painting or doing something fun.  But when Sydney got to my apartment with Eddie, Jill, and Angeline in tow, I should’ve known they would make me go.

“Adrian, you have to come with us! You’ll really love this movie, and you get to eat popcorn and a ton of candy! Please Adrian, please!” Jill begged. Sometimes I swear she’s a 6 year old trapped in a teenager’s body. That thought earned me a punch in the arm. “I am not! I just really want you to come! It can be a family day!” She said with a large smile.

“Jill, you do remember we’re not really related, right? So it wouldn’t be a family day, it would be just some friends going to the movies. Sage, back me up on this.” I begged. I looked over at Sydney Sage, who instead of her normal calm demeanor, looked like she was seconds away from killing someone.

“Adrian, just say you’ll go before Jill starts to scream and give me a bigger headache.” Sage said.

I looked back and forth from Sydney to Jill. Sydney looked like if I said no, she might burn me to a crisp with the hatred in her eyes. Someone’s on her period, I thought, making Jill giggle. I looked at Jill next, and she was pouting. So I either say yes and have to endure a movie and the monsoon outside, or I say no and have Jill be said, which will make Eddie and Angeline upset, and Sage will kill me.

“Fine, I guess.” I grumbled. “But no chick flicks Jill.”

With that, we all braved the outside and piled into Sage’s car. Sydney was driving, as always, Jill, Eddie, and Angeline were in the backseat, and I got shotgun.

The whole time we drove, I feared for our lives. I doubt Sage could see out the windshield any more then I could. Thankfully, the theater wasn’t a far drive from my apartment.

“Thank you Adrian.” The blonde in the seat next to me whispered.

“Thanks for what?”

“For giving in and saying yes. My head feels like it’s going to burst, and Jill whining if you didn’t come would’ve made it worse.”

The pain she was in was clear on her face. Her face was scrunched up in pain. I hated it. I hated seeing her hurt with every fiber of my being. I wanted to take her hand and heal her, but I knew her opinion on magic.

“No problem Sage.” I said as I got out of the car. The rain hit me hard, instantly re-soaking my clothes. “Damn it.” Eddie, Jill, and Angeline got out of the car and ran to the building, I followed.

The 3 teens were already looking at movies.

“I want to see ‘Listen to Your Heart’! I heard it was an adorable movie!” Jill said.

“How about ‘Floor 13’, it’s a horror.” Eddie suggested.

“Yeah, let’s see that! None of use besides you want to see a chick flick, Jill.” Angeline agreed.

“Sydney, what do you want to see?” Jill asked, looking over to me. I looked behind me, thinking Sydney was there. She wasn’t.

“Sage?” I asked. “Where’s Sydney?” I looked around. The Alchemist was nowhere to be found. I looked at Eddie and he was instantly in guardian mode, hand in his coat pocket, probably reaching for his silver stake.