Two Harmonies as One

"Kyle!"

The Elf Prince was enjoying a mango when he spun around to find Apple bouncing eagerly. Clutching her tattered notebook, she thrust it before his eyes.

"The school talent show is coming up and..." she trailed off, cheeks tinting a delicate pink.

He polished off his mango, cleaning his hands on his jacket. Kyle found the rosy swell of her cheeks when she blushed utterly adorable. He had to resist the urge to give them a gentle squeeze.

"I was wondering..."

'Oh no, my mother always did that...' Kyle realized in thought.

"I-If you wanted to do something together?" She entreated.

He let out a soft chuckle. Kyle was typically the last one to seek the spotlight, preferring to avoid any embarrassment in front of a crowd. Meanwhile, Apple pressed her hands together, her eyes reflecting the sunlight like the sea.

Kyle tensed up, curious if she was about to do what he suspected.

"W-wait a minute...!"

She cocked her head, fluttering her lovely lashes.

Kyle's jaw hung open as heat flushed his cheeks. He nodded absentmindedly, and she jumped for joy.

"Dammit, Starlight...!" Kyle clapped a hand over his mouth, attempting to conceal his response.

'Why does she have to be so adorable?'

***

"No way! I am not doing it!"

Apple giggled as she stood center stage in the Charmitorium.

'Good thing it's empty,' Kyle thought, stepping out in his full costume, while she stood there looking lovely in a red ballerina tutu.

"Looking cute, Kyle!" Daring exclaimed, clapping his hands and laughing uproariously.

Kyle clenched his fist and hurled it forward. He attempted to leap off the stage to tackle Daring, who was seated in the front row, but the tightness of his Prince Charming costume caused him to trip and tumble over the edge.

"I thought you said it was just us?!" Kyle complained, his voice tinged with embarrassment.

"Well, I needed an outside opinion before we signed up. I thought Daring would be the perfect option!" She assured.

Kyle rolled his eyes. "What about Raven? Or the guys?" he asked. 

She put her hands on her hips. "Do you really want them to be our audience?" she challenged.

...

She made a good point.

However, Kyle couldn't go through with this. There had to be something else they could do together.

Apple hummed a tune that felt like home. Kyle couldn't resist; he chimed in, rising from the floor. Daring perched on the brink of his chair, head bobbing to the rhythm of their united melodies.

Their impromptu concert was cut short by an abrupt clap.

"A duet! That's what you two need!" Daring leaped to his feet, animated by the thought.

Exchanging glances, the pair's cheeks warmed at the prospect of their voices intertwining in a duet.

***

Kyle paced back and forth, repeatedly fanning his face with his hands.

"Oh my Grimm, oh my Grimm," Kyle murmured to himself repeatedly.

Suddenly, Apple appeared from behind, giving the red-haired boy a slight jolt.

"I didn't know you were such a diva, Darkstar!" she teased playfully.

"I'm not... I'm just nervous..." Kyle confessed, feeling embarrassed.

She rested her hand gently on his, offering a beaming smile.

"Don't worry, just keep your eyes on me. Together, there's nothing we can't face."

After a swift look around backstage, she planted a quick kiss on his cheek. Brief as it was, it lifted Kyle's spirits immensely.

***

Loud rifts came to a halt as Sparrow Hood, son of Robin Hood raised his electric guitar in the air.

"That's how you rock and ro-olllll! Yeah!" sung Sparrow.

He twirled off the stage, halting in front of Apple. Draping an arm around her, he dipped her slightly as he leaned closer.

"Feast your eyes on first place winner right here, princess," he teased with a wink, while she responded with an eye roll.

Jealousy bit at Kyle, his hands tensing around his guitar's neck, hoisting it like a bat aimed at Sparrow's head. Creeping up behind, Kyle was ready to strike, only to be intercepted by Apple. She tapped the back of his head, nudging the guitar away from Sparrow.

'That son of a witch! If there weren't any witnesses, I would have sent him off into the eye of a tornado!'

"Next up, a duet sung by Apple White and Kyle Broflovski," Maddie Hatter, daughter of the Mad Hatter announced as the two took the stage.

Kyle's hands shook, aware of the many eyes upon him. Apple grasped her microphone, gazing intently into his eyes.

"You got this Darkstar. Just like we practiced," she whispered, smiling sweetly.

He grasped his acoustic guitar, inhaled deeply, and began to play the opening notes of the song.

"I can see you running, running.
Every night from the same darkness.
It's coming, coming, but you are not alone."

Apple started the verse, allowing the melody to stream through her. She gazed into his eyes; her face adorned with that familiar sweet grin.

"If you just say the word...
I'll be there by your side.
You make me more.
You make me superhuman," Kyle joined in.

He felt the lyrics flow through his body. Everyone in the audience suddenly vanished. All he could see, all he could feel, was her.

"And if you need me to, I will save you!"

United in harmony, their gazes intertwined as they sang as one.

"Send out the signal and I'll fly low.
If it means the death of me,
I won't let go.
And if I'm lost in the world's shadows
I'll use the light that comes to me.
From your halo."

The audience leapt to their feet, cheering for their performance.

"I'm a genius," Daring declared, admiring his own image in the handheld mirror.