chapter 1

My name used to be James Collins I had the perfect life. Well not completly perfect from an outsider's standpoint. I was on the autism spectrum and I had adhd which didn't make my education or socialising easy, but I managed to get good grades almost everywhere. It was always just me and my mom her name was Zoaline Colins and she raised me on her own and she always took care of me, or so I thought.

It was turning fourteen when I found out.

That day we watched a movie in history class and for once school didn't feel stressful and I didn't feel like there was a cinder block crushing my chest from the usual ammount of anxiety. I even got to hang out with my friend Chuck, I usually went straight home after school to study. My mother was strict but she meant well, or so I thought. We went to the arcade hung out and had a grand old time, I did have to stop chuck from spin kicking another guy who made fun of my eyes. You see I have heterochromia which means my left eye is grey while the right one is sea green. I had a good laugh at all the threats he made, all genuine I know but it was still hilarious. Chuck was a stout kid with a temper and the ability to throw kicks like his namesakes Chuck Norris. After that episode we made a quick stop to buy the latest book of my favorite author. Sally Blofis she wrote books on a multitude of subjects, but what attracted me the most was the fact that almost all of her characters were neurodivergent. It's the most uncommon decision writers take for they're characters and I just love it.

When I got back home is when everything went wrong. Police cars surrounded my house, I feared the worst. Running to my house I was suddenly stopped by an officer. He asked if I was James Colins, I said yes and the officer told me to follow him. I glanced back at Chuck who looked uncharacteristicaly worried. Looking grimm the officer sat me down on a nearby bench.

"My name is officer Brant" he started gently. "Your" he trailed off scaring me with his silence. "Is my mother ok?" I asked fearfully, the officer frowned. "I need you to listen to me very carefully son, Zoaline Colins is not you're mother. She snatched you up from god knows where and took you away from your real home."

I didn't let officer Brant go anywhere further. "Your lying I denied, before he could stop me I ran off into my house in time to see my 'mother' being cuffed on the ground. Before I could say or do anything I was pulled out by officer Brant. I demanded to know what they thought they were doing but I was ignored, the other officers and paramedic gave me pitying looks. Soon I was taken away to a temporary foster home where I relunctantly stayed for the next day. The family was nice enough they even gave made me breakfest after that a different police officer took me to the nearest police station. Aparently various people needed to ask me questions. A detective and a social worker to be more precise. We were sitting in a common room around a coffee table.

"We cross referenced any case of missing children we could find but we still found nothing." The detective began, I merely crossed my arms with a scowl as an answer. "But, that's not why your here" the detective amended. He set down an open document, it was a DNA test. Now I knew how those worked because i've spent more than a few science class on the subject.

I could only stare wide eyed at the result, she wasn't my mother. What officer Brant said was the truth. Jennifer Colins was an imposter. I had spent my entire life with a stranger no a kidnapper, who made me believed she was my family. My real family was out there somewhere, more strangers I didn't know anything about who might have already moved on from me. I didn't notice I was crying until my tears fell on the the test. After telling them everything I knew, I was brought back to the same foster home where I stayed until the end of the week for the day of the trial.

Chuck visited me in the meantime, but I wasn't really in the mood to do or say anything. So I just listened to him ramble about his favorite martial arts movies, and that was enough for me. Before I knew it I was putting on formal clothing and was on the way for the trial. Mo- Jennifer kept looking at me pleadingly as if she had done nothing wrong. I had to turn my eyes away, otherwise I would've burst into tears. I didn't know what to think anymore, I grew up loving this woman and she spent this precious time lying to me and acting as if she was my only family. Many proofs were shown first was a falsified birth certificate and the next was a falsified medical record. I would need to go to the doctor after this that's for sure. It wasn't much longer until she was taken away. I was taken back to a foster family while the police investigated. I hoped they could find whoever was my real family.