Part One - Emma volunteeres

“Any takers?” The man in the black coat asked, fear lacing his every word. All of the people around me stared at him; blank expressions on their faces. The construct of humanity created from many years of hard work and dedication… It was incredible. Humanity's magnum opus, even. I had nothing to lose… No family… No friends… Nothing. I may as well go and see if I can be a benefit to humanity.

    “I'll do it,” I sighed, standing up from my chair so fast that I almost fainted. My head went hazy and my vision blurred. But of course, I wouldn't let that stop me.

    “Ah! Wonderful! Everyone, give thanks to your savior! Praise Emma Ritters!” He shouted.

    “Thank you Emma! Thank you so much! We all love you! We will never forget what you have sacrificed for us,” they cheered at the top of their lungs. Frankly, it hurt my ears. I was thankful for their praise, but I kind of wished that they would stop on the inside. 

    The man in the slick, black jacket grabbed my arm, leading me over to the newly built machine. It was humanity's newest creation, the time machine. I never thought this moment would come… But it was finally here. I was ready, and I was not backing out now. 

    As I stepped inside the machine, I could feel the air shift. It was not the same in here. The air in the machine felt… Heavy. Metallic, even. It did not feel like pure oxygen like the outside. Before I could even think another thought, or say another word, the door slammed shut with a thud.

    Extremely bright blue light surrounded the area around me. All I could hear was the shouting of the crowd. But then, after that, I heard the counting:

    “Three! Two! One!”

    And that was the last thing I heard.