Chapter 2

Jahseh grew up in a very big home as a child he was born January 23 1998 Plantation FL. He loved to play on the Xbox with other kids. 

was an American rapper, singer, and songwriter. Though a controversial figure due to his widely publicized legal troubles, XXXTentacion gained a among his young fan base during his short career with his and -themed music. Critics and fans often credited him for his musical versatility, with his music exploring , and . He was considered a significant figure in the and genres which garnered mainstream attention during the mid-late .

Born in , XXXTentacion spent most of his childhood in . He began writing music after being released from a and soon started his music career on in 2013, employing styles and techniques that were unconventional in , such as and heavy guitar-backed instrumentals, drawing inspiration from third-wave and . In 2014, he formed the and alongside other members of the collective soon became a popular figure in , a trap music scene that takes elements of lo-fi music and harsh .   

XXXTentacion gained mainstream attention with the single "". His debut album (2017) was certified in the US. His second album (2018) debuted at number one on the , and its lead single, "", reached number one on the and had amassed more than a billion views on YouTube by January 2021. On June 18, 2018, at the age of 20, in a robbery at a motorcycle dealership in . The attackers fled the scene in an after stealing from him a bag containing $50,000; four suspects were arrested.   

No trial date has been set for the accused.XXXTentacion has -certified sales of 61 million units in the US and -certified sales of over 7 million units in the UK, bringing his total to 68 million certified records sold in the two countries. Since his death, he has won an and a and received 11 nominations. Two posthumous albums were released, (2018) and (2019); the former became his second number-one album on the Billboard 200. Jahseh Dwayne Ricardo Onfroy was born on January 23, 1998, in , to parents, Dwayne Ricardo Onfroy and Cleopatra Eretha Dreena Bernard. His father named him for the song "So Jah Seh" which interpolates ; both Onfroy's father and grandfather were . XXXTentacion stated he had , , Indian and possibly ancestry in an interview on in 2017. He had three siblings with one being half, shared paternally.[] XXXTentacion was mainly raised by his grandmother Collette Jones—due to his mother's personal problems—in , and . When Onfroy was six years old, he allegedly tried to stab a man attempting to attack his mother and was eventually put into a before living with his grandmother. A source close to the Onfroy family denied that the alleged stabbing incident occurred, and it is not corroborated by police reports. In early 2008, when Onfroy was 10, his father was jailed for nine years in Arizona on after the organized a . Onfroy's father was deported to Jamaica in late 2016.

Jahseh interest in music initially started after his aunt persuaded him to begin attending school and later church choir. He was soon kicked out of the school choir after attacking another student. Jahseh attended from which he was later expelled after a series of physical altercations. He was subsequently enrolled into Sheridan House Family Ministries by his mother for over six months. Jahseh began to listen to , and rap during his time at Sheridan House Family Ministries, which led to him learning how to play the and .

Jahseh attended until he dropped out in the tenth grade. He described himself as a "misfit" during that time, citing how quiet he was despite being popular and regularly involved in physical confrontations. Jahseh was not the athletic type and said that he was insecure and during his time in high school.

Onfroy's career as a began in June 2013 after the release of his song "News/Flock". According to interviews, while in juvenile detention for charges, he met Stokeley Goulbourne, another artist known as . Some sources interviewed for a 2020 biography dispute this narrative, and say that the pair met at high school. Onfroy and Goulbourne became good friends and began . Recalling his time in detention, Onfroy said that he was respectful to the officers and staff and used to protect people from other inmates, including a homosexual cellmate, whom Onfroy later attacked for allegedly staring at him while he was changing clothes. Onfroy stated that he was not .

That same year, following his release from a juvenile detention center, he and Goulbourne met up again under the belief they were going to commit a string of for monetary gain though Onfroy eventually bought a microphone and began recording music, which convinced Goulbourne to do the same. After Onfroy adopted the Jahseh he uploaded his first official song, called "Vice City", on . Speaking on his decision to abandon a life of crime for music, Onfroy said that he felt like music was a better outlet for his feelings and then-girlfriend Geneva Ayala was someone who helped him realize that. He would then continue uploading small snippets of his songs that he would either soon release or keep unreleased. Onfroy eventually joined Ski Mask the Slump God's group Very Rare, before breaking off and starting the collective, which Ski Mask then also joined. The word "tentación" in his stage name is the Spanish word for "temptation".

Onfroy released his first official (EP), called The Fall, on November 21, 2014. In 2015, Onfroy released a collaborative mix tape with Ski Mask the Slump God, Members Only Vol. 1, before releasing Members Only Vol. 2 with several members of the growing Members Only collective. On December 30, 2015, the original version of "" was uploaded to the SoundCloud account of the song's co-producer, Rojas.

On April 28, 2016, Onfroy released the EP Willy Wonka Was a Child Murderer, with music heavily inspired by and . In 2016, Onfroy quit his job as a call center operator due to his growing music career and moved in with rapper . In July 2016, Onfroy was arrested and charged with and . After posting $10,000 bail, Onfroy continued to work on his debut independent album, Bad Vibes Forever, which had a slated October 31, 2016, release date. The album missed the release date and was delayed due to Onfroy being arrested in early October on charges of , and of his pregnant girlfriend. Whether Onfroy's girlfriend was actually pregnant is disputed.