Chapter 5

The next day I was sitting in the school cafeteria with Alyssa and Blake.

'Do you want to go to the school dance as a group?' Alyssa asked.

'Good idea' I said.

'Dont you have dates?' Blake asked.

'No' Alyssa said.

'Wait. Do you?' I asked.

'Well attchulley' Blake said.

'You have a date!' Alyssa cried.

'Who is it?' I asked.

'I'm going with Camreon' Blake said.

'Thats great!' Alyssa cried.

'I can cancel if you want me to. I dident realize we were going to go as a group' Blake said.

'It's fine. Me and Molly can go together. Not as a date. I mean unless you want it to be' Alyssa said.

'I don't think I'm going to go attchulley' I said.

'Why not?' Blake asked.

'I haven't got a date' I said.

'Do you need me to find you a date?' Alyssa asked.

'No!' I cried, laughing.

'She can get a date if she wants to. She's just choosing not to' Blake said.

'Yeah' I said.

'I guess I'm not going then' Alyssa said.

'Oh come on. You have to go!' I cried.

'I don't want to go to a school dance alone. Blake's going to be dancing with Camreon' Alyssa said.

'Okay fine' I said, throwing my hands up. 'I'll go with you'.

Alyssa squealed.

'Thank you! We're going to have so much fun!' she cried.

'You two can slow dance' Blake said.

'I think I'm non binary' I said.

'Wait. What?' Alyssa asked.

'Do you remember I went to see Dr Katie because I was having trouble being intimate with Ashley?' I asked.

'Yeah' Alyssa said.

'Dr Katie thinks the reason I can't be intimate with Ashley is because I'm non binary' I said.

'What does that mean?' Blake asked.

I told them everything Dr Katie had told me about being non binary and gave them the leaflet to read.

'Do you think she's right?" Alyssa asked.

'Yeah I do. Dr Katie managed to convince Mum to let me wear men's clothes and stop wearing make up. Dad brought me men's clothes and shoes on the way home from the therapy session' I said.

'Are you going to change your name?' Alyssa asked.

'I've got a list of boys and gender neauturul names' I said, taking it out of my backpack and giving it to Alyssa.

Blake read the list over Alyssa's shoulder.

'Dylan, Ollie, Alex, Logan' Blake said.

'You can't use Camreon. Thats Blake's new boyfriends name!' Alyssa cried.

'He's not my boyfriend! Yet' Blake said.

'Can I come over after school and see your new men's clothes?' Alyssa asked.