What's a Cliche?

A cliche is something that many many people use. It's used so much, that it's not original, and sometimes not even enjoyable. 

Here are some:

1. The Mirror Cliche

The mirror cliche is usually near the beginning of a book. I'm sure you've read a book with this in it. It's when the character looks in the mirror, and the narrator explains what they're seeing. It would be something like this: 

I yawned, rubbing the sleep out of my blue eyes, and brushed my hair, noticing a large knot on the side of my long, brown hair. 

Yes, it's a good way of discribing the character, but you should try to avoid doing this as much as possible. 

2. The Chosen One

Though these stories can be very interesting, most end up being roughly the same. The whole world on this one character's shoulders, who is usually teens and early 20's. I'm not saying to do it with someone who's older, I'm saying you should try to rerwite the plot, if only slightly. Try to make it less just on one character, or something. 

3. The Love Triangle

Almost everyone has heard of this one. It's when two people supposidly loe the same person, and that one person has to choose. It makes tension in the plot and relationships with other characters. 

This one is one of the less important to remove, expecially in Romance and Teen Fiction novels. If you really want to do this one, take it and flip it on it's head. Make the book interesting in a way no one has ever seen before!