The Spirit in the Tree

The pine tree that created the border of Camp Half Blood was special. That was all Percy had heard since he had gotten to camp. No one would tell him though. He had just gotten his arm hair singed off when he narrowly avoided the lava from the climbing wall when Grover told him what was special about the tree.

     A daughter of Zeus, Thalia Grace had nearly died, defending her friends, 2 demigods and a satyr. As she laid dying, her father turned her into a pine tree. The tree provided the camp with a magical barrier.

     Percy had to admit, there were some holes in the story. If the tree made the camp safe, then how was it the safest place for a demigod before that? Or were the demigods told that you had only a 50% chance instead of a 99%? And wouldn't the collective scent be like an "all you can eat buffet" for the monsters?

     So, it was a surprise when he went up to the tree to relax, and saw a 14 year old girl in punk clothing sitting on a tree. He stared up at her, before asking, "Uh, hello. What is your name?"

     She didn't say her name, and only stared at him in amazement.

     "Uh, hello?" Percy asked again.

     "You can see me?" The young girl asked.

     "Yea... Others can't?"

     "Well, yeah, dipshit."

     "You don't have to cuss me out, damn. Anyway, what's your name?"

     "Thalia."

     Percy's eyes widened. "Like, Thalia- Thalia? Daughter of Zeus, Thalia?"

     "Do you know another one?" She said, rolling her eyes.

     Percy didn't respond. He just looked down and sat at the edge of the tree. Thalia looked at him and frowned. She jumped down from her branch and silently landed next to him. She sat down next to him. "Hey, are you okay?"

     Percy kept his head down and just mumbled something about being fine. The 2 just sat there in silence, Percy eventually falling asleep and Thalia disappearing.

     He was awoken to Chiron stomping on the dirt. Percy slowly opened his eyes. "Huh?'

     "Percy, child. What are you doing out of your cabin? The harpies could've eaten you."

     Percy was going to explain everything, including Thalia, but remembered that apparently, not everyone could see her. "I, uh, needed to get some air?" Percy said weakly.

     Chiron didn't buy it, but elected to say nothing.

     Percy didn't go back to the tree until the night he was claimed. He still had adrenaline in his veins from the game of capture the flag. He decided against resting against the trunk and decided to climb the branches of the tree.

     He nearly fell off when Thalia whispered in his ear. "Hey."

     Percy screamed, causing Thalia to laugh her ass off.

     "It's not funny." Percy grumbled.

     "Hell yea it is." Thalia said. "I never got your name."

     "Percy, Percy Jackson."

     "Who's your parent?"

     "Poseidon, apparently."

     "So, we're cousins?"

     "I guess."

     They sat there in awkward silence, until Percy decided that he would start a conversation. "So... What's your favorite color?"