Chapter Three

The darkness was the only thing I could see, no matter how much I squeezed my pupils into slits like a crazy cat. From time to time I'd even brush my shoulder against the cold stone walls, probably leaving a trail of scent after me.

I remembered once stepping into a small puddle, which I prayed wasn't blood, even though they smelled dangerously like that.

There were occasional screams, so horrified screams I'd run faster through the labyrinth without actually knowing where I was going. I tried my best to run in the opposite direction of the screams, but the sound seemed to follow me wherever I'd go.

Not even for the love of Moon could I find even one river. Perhaps rivers were the dangerous spots the sign on the entrance was telling, and that's where screams were coming from.

I had a feeling as if I was constantly going into circles, even I never felt the same stone twice – or my mind was simply playing tricks on me.

The moment I came in front of a tall thick tree, I began to circle it, to see if someone's scent was there.

All I felt was a faded scent of a female fox and a trail of her going somewhere under a stone wall.

So, perhaps, that was one of the safe spots... Or an extremely dangerous one.

In my muscles, I felt as if I was running for days, and not merely a few hours.

I leaned my back against the tree sliding down it, probably leaving the most permanent scent on it, and hugged my knees when my butt hit the ground.

Although I knew I was going to die, I just needed to break down for a moment. Just a moment of accepting my sure fate.

Tears began building up in the corner of my eyes, as I remembered my father's words signing me up for something he knew I couldn't survive even if humans were involved. They'd hunt us like animals, just like Lycans did, except with guns and silver knives. But at least against humans, we had a chance. We could kill them just like they were killing us.

With Lycans, we didn't have a chance.

''Well, well, well – '' a deep voice spoke from somewhere in the darkness on my left. I so much wanted to let my Beast take over the control of our sight, but her smell was too strong. '' – Isn't that a scared little puppy?''

I tried to stand up by supporting myself with the tree but fear was bending my knees too violently. ''P-please don't – ''

'' – Murder you?'' The male Lycan finished my sentence. When I didn't correct him nor approved his answer. ''I won't murder you, little puppy, I'll enjoy torturing you for the next five hours.'' I heard his voice form into a sick chuckle.

The tears were by now pouring down my cheeks, knowing there was nothing I could do.

''Oh, you're a fat puppy?'' He chuckled, his voice coming from somewhere in front of me.

Just when he was about to move closer, I heard a movement by my left, someone was coming too. Someone... Powerful.

The energy of the person was so strong it made me gasp, his scent invading my mind and body, images of his eyes rocking through my mind back and forth although in the pitch dark I couldn't see them.

They were blue – like a deep ocean, rimmed with a black thick line, and his eyelashes as dark as a nightmare long and curled upwards.

Somehow I knew his cheekbones were high, sleek, his chin and lips covered with a two-day black beard, as his jawline was as sharp as a knife and nicely connected to his slim ears. I knew his hair was as black as I wished mine was, and long, always tied to a low ponytail, ends of the straight locks reaching to the end of his back.