Chapter 2 - Mira

She had been out the next morning, picking up any items that Nikolai wanted as thanks for last night's nightmare. Gifts to distract from the inconveniences she had caused because even though Mira didn't particularly care, she hated people being upset with her.

Townspeople began flooding the streets, and soon she was weaving in and out of people to reach a bench to rest. When she finally sat down, her overexerted body slumped. I just need to sleep.

No! Mira immediately straightened her back and opened her eyes wider. Stay awake, she ordered herself. She hadn't been able to sleep comfortably the night before. She didn't trust leaving an injured stranger on their couch with no means of protection if he happened to try and attack them in the middle of the night, which was quite possible in this city. Mira couldn't help but remember the way the man from the warehouse had ran away, though he'd been the one to shoot.

She watched as the hoards of people combed through the streets. Davor certainly wasn't how it was described in the books at the Inn. The citizens did wear tailored suits and dresses, but only those who were deep into the business. Their suits were drab and black, same with the dresses, not as puffy as Sora's books had pictured. The city was plenty fun for the rich, and a struggle for the less fortunate.

Her eyes wandered to a flyer under her boot. Mira lifted her boot and read the text aloud, "Dagger-throwing competition, all are welcome." A faint smile appeared over her tired face. "500 mammos." It was set for that night, the 11th hour.

She sprung up from the bench and began making her way back to the Flat, the dirty flyer stamped with her shoe print still clutched in hand. According to the flyer, the competition was being held in the town square, The Dav.

That night after giving Nikolai his gift of cigars, which he accepted with a big grin, Mira slipped into her room. It was tiny, only big enough for a small bed and a trunk, but she didn't have much with her anyway. She knelt down in front of the trunk, opening its golden clasps and lifting the lid. Inside were her clothes. Mira took them out, uncovering a leather satchel underneath. She grabbed it, slung it across her shoulder, and made her way to the living room.

Cigar smoke filled the air, and Nikolai was sitting at the table, reading the newspaper like an old man. The paper inches away from his face.

He dropped it down to his lap, noticing her, "Where are you going, kid?"

Mira pulled out her daggers from her satchel, "A competition. Somebody has to pay the landlord."

He frowned, "What about the Tavern? You always win there."

She shook her head, "That's only a few mammos each night from the drunks. This is 500 mammos."

His eyes widened. "500?"

She nodded.

"Well, you better win then. Remember what I taught you, don't hold back. Ah, and have fun," He took another puff of his cigar, "but don't bring any more trouble, you hear? We can't accommodate another patient, our rooms are full with Pirate Boy over there."

She peered over the couch, the boy still sleeping. "Should I have done it?"

"Helped Pirate Boy?"

"Yeah," She began to anxiously twist her hair, "What would you have done?"

He let out a bellowed laugh, "You wouldn't want to take my advice, would you?"

Mira gave him a serious glare.

"In Davor, nobody helps someone without a reason, and perhaps that's the way it should be. You give something to them, they give something to you. Almost a barter." He grinned at her wide eyes, "But you're the exemption it seems."