Chapter 8 - Kai

When Kai opened his eyes, the Court. Two towering columns in front of the stone building. Behind was a decorative archway overtop the extravagant set of doors. On each side stood a lavishly dressed guard, both holding a pristine rifle across their chest. At the sight of Nikolai, they rolled their eyes.

"What are you doing here, Baro?" One guard chided, "Surely you're not bringing your bounty, you lazy-"

Kai watched as Nikolai threw Cillian onto the road and rushed to the guard, fists ready to strike.

Kai grabbed him, pulling him back by his shoulders, as Mira scooped up Cillian from the ground and eased him to his feet.

"Let me go!" Nikolai shouted, squirming, "Pirate Boy!"

Kai didn't. Instead, he continued pulling him away, shoulder throbbing, as he looked to the guards, "Don't let these Court puppets get to you, Captain. They aren't worth the trouble." He tugged a bit harder, "C'mon!"

Finally, Nikolai let up, but he ripped off his cloak and threw it at the guards. Then he turned away to Kai and Mira, his lips pursed.

"You two go in instead." He turned back and spat on the Court's stone, "It seems I'm not welcome."

Mira nodded and turned to the Court's front doors, "We will only be a bit. Stay here, Nikolai." He strode off to a bench, plopping down with folded arms as Kai and Mira went up the Court steps.

Without a word, Mira guided Cillian past the guards, who fawningly eyed her as she entered through the doors. When the guards looked to Kai, he shot them a fiery glare.

The tall wooden doors creaked as they set foot inside the Great Hall. The colorful oil murals filled every inch of the high ceiling, and gold-framed paintings lined the walls down to the clerk's desk.

The three's boots echoed off the tile floor, the only sound in the vacant hall as they walked side by side to its end.

Cillian tried to scoot away from Kai, overpowering Mira.

"Keep walking." Her voice stern as she pushed him forward.

"You're a monster," Cillian muttered to Kai, and he felt his whole body stiffen. He couldn't find the words fast enough.

Cillian didn't let up, "What did you do? In the warehouse."

Kai noticed Mira's furrowed brows and willed himself to rebuttal, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, yes," said Cillian, "You do. Your eye. It was red. It was glowing."

Quiet. Be quiet.

"Wow," Kai forced a laugh, the heat rising, "Maybe my punch really did mess you up."

"No." Cillian turned toward Mira, as if for sympathy, "I'm not crazy. I know what I saw." Kai turned to her, but she ignored him as she led Cillian to the front desk.

==============================================================================

*MIRA*

The clerk was sitting in her chair, reading a log and twisting a long, blonde strand as Mira approached.

"Oh, gods," The clerk looked her up and down with fierce eyes, "May I help you?"

"We have a bounty," Mira gestured towards Kai behind her, "His bounty."

The clerk's eyes lit up when she saw him, her cheeks rosy, "Why, Mr. Kudo! You're back so soon!"

"Lydia." He put on a plastered smile, leaning on her desk.

A hand covered her mouth, "That blood! You need to bandage that up! Quick!"

Kai looked down to the stain, "No. It isn't mine."

She finally could breathe again, a gracious smile sweeping across her powdered face, "Well you should really clean up before seeing Judge Wallace. He has been issuing a lot of bounties lately. The crimes have gotten gods-awful the past few weeks." She batted her eyes, "The Court needs you, Kai."

"Okay, Miss." Mira interrupted, "We only came here to deliver the bounty, and here he is."

Kai stifled a laugh as Lydia shot her a glare, then motioned to a nearby guard.

Before the guard took him from Mira's grasp, Cillian shook his head at Kai, "I don't know what the hell you are, but you aren't normal. You're hiding something and-"

But his last threat was cut short as the guard replaced the rope with metal shackles, guiding him past an iron door.

Kai could hear his own heartbeat, pumping out of his chest. His eye was screaming in pain and he searched in his bloodied blazer for the pocket watch. Cillian had remembered everything that night, remembered the glowing eye, the fear, and terror. He was right. Kai was anything but normal. He was-

"Insane." Lydia said, laughing, "That guy must be insane. Maybe a mental home would do him better."

Mira kept her cold eyes on the iron door, "Maybe."

Kai found the pocket watch, clicking it open and close for some relief. His thoughts were a blur, but he knew he needed some air. Quick.

Suddenly a croaky voice echoed from behind. "Mr. Kudo."