PROLOGUE

Within the massive, yet empty home known as Wayne Manor, a young boy sits by the television set rocking back and forward. He's lived in this house his entire life and yet within it he feels lost. It's not the room his mother sat on her knees in and filmed his first words with that old, bulky camera. It's not the room he so bravely took his first steps in as he marched the seemingly 100 mile distance to his father. Everywhere he looks is foreign and frightening. In a desperate attempt to escape this ongoing nightmare, he squeezes his eyes shut. In the darkness he tries to look for his family; Hoping that somewhere they're waiting for him in this cold, unforgiving world. He tries to find their warm smiles or the gentle voice of his mother calling to him, telling him everything is going to be okay. He waits to hear them tell him this. But the words don't come.

The family butler Alfred Pennyworth watches him from a distance, trapped in his own box of torture, and he can't help but feel guilty. For his entire life he trained to be able to fulfill any need, such as the culinary arts, medical assistance, hospitality, and much more than he could ever name on ten fingers. And yet there is nothing he can do for the young boy sitting before him, as all he knows is the same as anyone else. He knows how to say it'll get better. He knows how to say I'm sorry. He knows how to say he'll always be there. He knows these simple, truthful phrases that may provide some resemblance of temporary hope; But he doesn't know how to fill that gap in his heart. He doesn't know how to fulfill the wishes of the Wayne family and care for Bruce. He yearns to find a simple formula that he can memorize to fulfill Bruce's needs... but there is no guide for healing a broken soul. There is only the deep and immense care he holds for Bruce in his heart, which he does not realize is all he needs.

Alfred removes his gaze from Bruce and moves it towards the entrance, there's someone at the door. "Good afternoon, Ms. Thompkins," he says as the door opens revealing a short, young woman with ginger hair, clad in a white coat and circular glasses resting on a weary nose.

"Good evening Al," Leslie says, smiling as she peers into the living room, the disheveled butler glancing back at her as his eyes soften. "How's he holding up?"

"That poor boy. I cannot imagine what he's going through right now. He's barely spoken since the incident. I'm afraid he's hurting himself."

"His response is normal. He's just going through the stages. The brain's natural instinct is to find a method to move on and deal with the pain. Bruce is just trying to figure out his way," she explains to Alfred.

They both stare at Bruce with despondent faces. She takes a deep breath and walks over to Bruce with an assuring smile, taking a seat next to him on the floor and gently placing her hand upon his shoulder. "Hi Bruce, My name is Leslie. I was a friend of your father's. I came over to see you.." she says in a soft tone, looking at Bruce without her stare returned. "How are you doing?"

"What have you been up to lately?" She continues, trying to break down the wall yet to no avail, she sighs, "Look—"

"It's not fair," Bruce barely murmurs out, softly sobbing through his words.

"I know," she tells him with a warm smile, "but that doesn't mean you can't try to heal that hole you're feeling."

"...I miss them," Bruce whispers through his tears. 

"I do too, Bruce," She leans over towards him and wraps her arms around Bruce... He eagerly returns the favor.

BATMAN: PURGATORY