Part 1

Dear Diary...
Howard Clayton started writing on a small notebook while lying on the bed in his prison cell. When Suzanne gets a hold of this diary after I die, I hope that she cherishes it forever.
Howard cracked his knuckles. He looked outside his cell. An unusual silence surrounded the hall. Howard had been in this cell for an entire week. He was a successful dentist but now he couldn't recall the last time he had brushed his teeth.
Howard stared outside the bars. Martyr Town was a peaceful town. No wonder there were not many prisoners housed here. He wished that he had a bunkmate—another locked up soul to talk to. Even the prison cells at either side of him were empty.
Howard returned to his notebook. He was about to be electrocuted in a few minutes and did not want to leave a stupid letter outlining that It wasn't me! a hundred times.
A wave of cold wind swept across Howard. He glanced beyond the bars again. There's no one thereMy imagination must be playing tricks on me again, he thought. He heard a scraping sound. What's that? he wondered.
It was the noise of someone mopping the floor outside.
It must be Edward, Howard thought. Edward was one of the prison's janitors and also Howard's only friend in his state of confinement.
A man in a blue jumper appeared right outside with his mop cleaning the floor. He was wearing a blue cap over his head and had unruly dark-brown hair that shielded his eyes.
"Hey, Edward." Howard greeted him from his chair. He was sitting behind a desk.
The janitor didn't even look at him and continued mopping. Howard looked at this nametag.
"Miller." Howard read.
"That's me." The janitor stopped cleaning and looked up at Howard. His hair covered his eyes so Howard couldn't make out exactly what his face looked like.
"Where's Edward?" Howard asked.
"Who?" the janitor replied with a question.
"The old janitor?"
"Oh." Miller said. "He's doing the cafeteria today."
"Uh-huh."
Miller lowered the mop and resumed his mechanical mopping.
"So what you in for?" the janitor asked. "Writing about the Mayor's ex-wife?"
"No." Howard smiled after a long time.
"It's a nice thing to see a man writing." Miller continued. "A man should always have something to do with one hand tied behind his back."
"Well, I'm actually a dentist."
"Then you have two things to do." Miller remarked. "Write as well as take out somebody's tooth."
Howard chuckled. "You have an exquisite sense of humor."
"Thank you." Miller replied with a nod of the head. "So what are you in for?" "Well, it goes like this..."
***
One week ago.
"Yes, honey. I won't forget the barbecue sauce this time." Howard said through his cellphone. He parked his car in front of a supermarket and then got out.
"You always forget the sauce, Howard." A female voice told him from the other end.
"That's why I have you to remember things for me." Howard shut the door of his car and locked it. "I'll be home in ten, Suzanne."
"I love you."
"I love you too."
Howard replaced his cellphone in his pants pocket and entered the store. He greeted the cashier who was a decent looking 30something-year old man. An elderly man who was blind was situated near the desk sitting in a wheelchair.
"Okay. Barbeque sauce." Howard grabbed a bottle of barbeque sauce from a stack. He was about to depart when he saw a fizzy drink in a small-sized fridge.
A new flavor! Howard thought happily and proceeded to the fridge. He took out a cold bottle of Budweiser.
"Put your hands up and give me all the money!" a hooded figure had a shotgun raised at the cashier who had his arms raised.
"Please I need this money for my grandfather's kidney transplant." The cashier pleaded.
"Shut up and put the money in the bag." The criminal motioned at the stacks of brown-paper bags on the counter.
Howard had two options running through his head. Run and enjoy the Barbican or try to be a hero.
He chose option two and putting down the bottle on the floor, he ran towards the criminal.
The crook heard him approaching and turned around to shoot but Howard got hold of the gun.
"Get off!" the thief shouted. Both of them were wrestling for the weapon.
Howard accidentally pulled the trigger, and shot the cashier straight on the chest and he flew backwards hitting the wall behind him, then fell lifelessly onto the floor.
The sound of police sirens were buzzing from nearby.
"It's all yours!" the criminal ran away through the front door.
Howard threw the gun away and went over to check whether the poor cashier was still alive. He checked the cashier's pulse. He was dead!
"Police!" a police officer and his partner entered the shop. They had their pistols raised at Howard.
"Stand up with your hands up." The partner demanded.
"You killed my grandson." The old blind man told Howard.
"It wasn't me." Howard told him.
"I heard your voice."
"This is your last warning!" the first-to-enter police officer shouted.
"Go to hell!" the old man told Howard.
Howard got up from behind the counter with his hands behind his head.
"Cuff him" The same policeman told his partner. The other officer nodded and went over to arrest the dentist.
"I'm telling you. I didn't do it on purpose." Howard told the old man who was weeping now.
"You have the right to remain silent..." the arresting officer began reciting the Miranda warning.
***
"So did you tell the judge?" Miller asked pausing his cleaning routine.
"Of course." Howard replied. "But unfortunately there were no cameras inside the store. And the witness was the blind grandpa of the victim!"
"So instead of an eyewitness your got an ear witness." Miller joked.
Howard chuckled holding his belly. "I just wish I could go back in time and stop myself from
getting involved in the robbery."
Suddenly, all of the lights inside and outside Howard's cell started flickering. Howard looked
around. What the hell's going on?
"Would you die for that wish?" Miller asked and Howard could see his face clearly now.
"What?" the buzzing sound of the lights blocked out Howard's hearing.
"It was nice meeting you." Miller outstretched his arm through the bars for a handshake.
The flickering noises were giving Howard a major headache. Howard got up from his chair and shook the janitor's hand.
"Pray for me!" Howard exclaimed.
As Howard tried to let go, Miller tightened his grip further. Howard gave the janitor a shocked look then tried to free himself.
"Let me go!" Howard shouted in frustration.
Miller was grinning at him. Devilish dimples appeared on the sides of his face. Suddenly, Howard got shocked. Literally shocked. Pulses of electricity circulated throughout his entire body. He wanted to scream for help but no voice came out.
He glanced at Miller who was still holding his hand in a tight grip. The dentist then lost his consciousness and fell backwards onto the floor.