CHAPTER VII

'Someone had a nice weekend' Andy said at the sight of the smiley blonde. 'Yeah, yeah it was... nice!' 'You gotta tell me all about it' she winked. 'There's honestly not much to talk about. We hiked, found a nice spot next to a waterfall, made a fire, ate and went to bed' she replied avoiding the details. 'That's it, really ?' Andy answered not sure she was being told everything 'Yeah, what were you expecting' Maya said confident before they were interrupted. 'Hi' Carina said softly. 'Carina !?' Maya let out surprised. 'Bella, I'm sorry, I think I forgot my phone charger in your tent and you might have taken it by mistake.'  Andy looked at her best friend smirking as she crossed her arms. 'Right. Let me check my bag pack, I'll be back in a minute' the blonde left to her locker.

'Sooo, Carina' Andy said. 'Andrea' 'How was your weekend' 'Oh, well it was fantastico. We took some pictures, sang around a fire and oh there was a supposedly ''dangerous'' person hanging around so I may I woken Maya up at night, otherwise it was fun.' she laughed softy, smiling at the thought of the time they had spent together. 'Sang? So you know what I was talking about then' 'You were right, she definitely can sing'. Maya entered the room a slight blush apparent on her face as she caught up some of the conversation between the two ladies. Charger in hand, she gave it back to the tall brunette who thanked her before leaving to work. 

Maya glanced at her best friend 'Don't you dare say anything'. Andy raised up her arms innocently.

***

Days have passed. Maya was heading towards Carina's home. Carina wasn't alone. The more she was getting closer to the house the more she distinguished a man. Jack Gibson. He was full on making out with Carina on the doorstep. When she noticed Maya approaching and bribed backward.

There was a silence. Jack turned around 'Hi Maya!' he said smiling surprised, having no idea these two knew each other. 'I'm sorry, I'll come by later' she answered in a weird tone. 'No no no, it's fine. He was just leaving' Carina replied a guilty look on her face for some reason. 'I was?' 'You were'. Maya looked away smiling in an annoyed way at the comic situation while Gibson left without objecting 'See you later'.

 'So?' Carina asked. Maya handed her a jacket 'I found this doing laundry, I figured I never returned it back after the basket game. It's clean.' 'Thank you, I totally forgot about that one. Really, you stealing my stuffs is a thing too now' she said playfully 'Wanna come in for a coffee?' she then added. Maya agreed.

'You and Gibson?' Maya let out looking down at her coffee mug. 'Jack? No. It was just a hookup thing, I don't really know him to be honest but isn't he your co-worker?' 'Ah yes. He's my co-worker, ex and roommate' she replied faking an annoyed face. 'Oh my, I hope you don't mind. I mean I know how exes-' 'No.' Maya cut her off while Carina starred at her 'Good' she slowly mouthed.

'Andy told me you were trying to be captain' the brunette changed the subject. 'Oh hum, I don't know' 'What made you change your mind, it seemed great!' 

Maya's face changed. 'You're ok bella?' the Italian woman was now concerned.  'I just came to the conclusion I'm not qualified for the job.' she started, playing with her wrist, 'I'm sorry I have to go to work now' she added as we stood up. Carina took hold of her wrist to stop her from leaving 'Maya...' The blonde froze 'Let go of me' she answered dryly. Carina intently starred at the woman in front of her who had her back turned. 'Leg go of me, please' she repeated in a much broken tone. Carina let go as she stood up. 'What's going on bella. I'm not letting you leave my house in this state. If you don't wanna talk it's fine but take some time to put yourself back together' she said softly. The blonde girl, teary eyes, did not move when the brunette wrapped her arm around hers. 'I'm sorry I bought up a sensitive subject' Carina said standing next to her. 'It's not your fault. I'm sorry' 'Whatever it is, you have valuable reasons. Don't ever apologize for feeling things Maya'. To these words Bishop lost it as more tears ran over her cheeks. Carina turned her around and pulled her into a hug putting one hand on the back of her head 'buono, let it out'. Maya breathed in the scent of Carina that surrounded her.

After what seemed to be an eternity, our blonde backed off gently looking down. 'Thank you'. The tall woman looked down at her with soft eyes before the smaller woman looked up and met her gaze. 'Are you sure you want to work today. I have a day I can take if you need someone to be around to' Carina said calmly 'Do you want company or not'. 'You don't.. You don't have to do this Carina' 'I'm here for you because I care about you'.

Maya felt some butterflies course through her body. She was sad but she wasn't, it was all confused and weird. No one has given her that much attention before but maybe Andy and Vic.

'My dad' she let out. Carina looked at her with a confused look on her face. 'He always takes pride in my achievements. By pride I mean, all the efforts I put to succeed, he crushes them. I should be proud yet I feel humiliated' the blonde started walking around the room as hazel eyes followed her listening attentively. 'If I run for captain, he'll just come by the station and tell everyone how great HE did. It'll ruin it all for me. I don't wanna give him that chance. I'm tired Carina. I'm so tired.' she stopped. 

Carina sighed gently. 'Maya. Your dad does not define who you are or what you do. It seemed like you wanted this so bad. Don't let him tear down your needs because you're scared he'll take the pride. As long as you know who you are, we all do too. I mean woah, you're Maya Bishop, the fire lady who runs towards danger and saves people's life at her own risks on a daily basis. He'll humiliate you ? I can't say it's fine. He'll come by the station and make a silly show ? I can't say it's inevitable, but then what' 'That's the thing, until next time' Maya interrupted her. 'So you're gonna let him lead your entire life and put boundaries to it because of his toxic behavior? You're better than that, I know it, you know it, we all do' Maya went silent. 'Run for captain' Carina said 'and don't talk to me about not being qualified. You're a strong-willed, smart and willy woman. Run for captain'. 

'God, how do you do that' Maya said letting a smile appear on her face. 'I am very smart' Carina laughed joined by the blonde woman. 

'Seriously, thank you' Maya said. 'Anytime you need a shoulder to cry on bella' the brunette smiled.

'I'm sorry I made a scene and you had to see this mess, I don't usually-' Carina stopped her 'You don't apologize' she warned pointing her with her index. All the blonde could do now was smile. She was impress by how that woman could make her feel better within seconds knowing exactly what to say without knowing the whole childhood story behind. 

'I should probably go work and think about it' Bishop affirmed. Deluca nodded before giving her a goodbye hug 'Call me tonight'.