sahoor. ١

"And eat and drink Until the white thread Of dawn appears to you Distinct from the black thread (of the night)."
[Surah al-Baqarah; 187]

Sahoor refers to the food or drink that is consumed by a person at the end of the night. It is called sahoor because it is consumed at the time of sahr which is the end of the night.

There are a number of hadiths that speak of the virtue of sahoor, such as that in which the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Eat sahoor, for in sahoor there is blessing."
Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1923) and Muslim (1095).

And he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "The difference between our fasting and the fasting of the People of the Book is the meal before dawn (sahoor)."
Narrated by Muslim (1096).

And he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Verily Allah, may He be exalted, and His angels send blessings upon those who eat sahoor."
Narrated by Ahmad (11086); classed as saheeh by the commentators on al-Musnad. Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in as-Saheehah (1654)

What is meant by sahoor in these hadiths is the food eaten before dawn by the one who is going to fast in particular, because that food gives the fasting person strength for the act of worship that is fasting, and makes it easier for him.

Moreover it is the sahoor that differentiates between our fast - us Muslims - and the fast of the People of the Book.

Q; what do you normally have for sahur?

Assalamu Alaikum.