Chapter 1 - bacterophus

Earth has shattered like the glass that once beautified cathedrals across the continent, almost every sign of life turned to dust in the blink of an eye.

The government decided that there was a need of population control. But after the so called 'harmless' disease was released, it mutated, became airborne and soon killed most of the population of the world. Now all signs of how the humans reacted before have vanished. The last people left, including my family and I are immune, that or we haven't been outside in 3 years. Food shortages have been the least of our worries so far. But nature's revenge has kicked in. More earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions and every other natural disaster plans to take place. My wife Liz and two children Mason and Bailey and I are struggling, in the video games I used to play when I was younger that included apocalyptic events made learning to hunt and survive so easy but when it actually happens it's completely different. You don't automatically know how to use a gun or can magically make food appear on your plate.

"Joel where are the bandages?" Liz asks me. I don't answer as I rummage through the top shelf. Raiding by myself is a lot faster than with Liz and the kids. "JOEL!!! WHERE ARE THE BANDAGES!!!!!" My lovely wife exclaimed ( cough* sarcasm cough*) "they're in the red duffel bag honey" I say in a chirpy tone just to annoy her. Hey it's the end of the world but sometimes you gotta have fun. " daddy look what I found!!" Mason says as he runs into the room holding up a Spider-Man figure. Sigh, five year olds and their action figures. "Good find little dude, you wouldn't mind bringing this roll of string to mommy?" I say bending down and handing him the string. I watch him waddle over to my wife. I barely ever notice what has happened to the world when I'm with my family, as long as I have them I'm gonna get along just fine. My dad taught me to shoot a gun and to set up snares. Liz knows how to decontaminate water and Bailey my 17-year old daughter is the most flexible girl I know, she can climb up the sides of building and trees. Mason is only five but he is still a great help. "Dad what would you do if the owner of the building walked in." My daughter asks me. "Well I don't know but what would he do? Oh he'd kick the living shit out of me." I say laughing to myself. As soon as we are done raiding we leave the building. Severe drought has led to deserts across Florida, unusual but then again what is normal?
We step outside of the building into what seems like the remains of a market plaza. It is 8 am on well,I don't actually know what day it is. I don't need to keep track of that even though I should. Hmm, note to self: find Calendar. We all walk back to the pick up truck I stole from my boss when the world went to shit. I climb into the truck and start it, no movement. I slam the wheel" shit we are out of gasoline" I say. "Honey isn't there a gas station a couple of miles from here?" My wife says. I walk around the plaza trying to find some kind sort of transport. I soon come across a small pink tricycle. Well if my day could not get any worse!
I get on it and cycle past my family, my son throws me a jerrycan and shouts "haha daddy your on a girly bike." After cycling for about ten minutes I find the gas station. I quickly find the gas pump and start to fill up the can. "Who the hell is stealing my oil again? "a fat man with a gun says. I feel my heart drop. Well at least I won't died from the disease. "Boy what are you doing?!?" The guy exclaims. "I was just uh, uh my car-" I am cut off. "No one takes my oil, you hear me!" He says shouting. I wince at how loud he is. "You know what you can take the oil. But I'm gonna need some payment" he says suddenly quietening down, I raise my eyebrows. "Gimme you're pants" he says. I hesitate. "I said gimme your pants son!" He says louder. I take off my pants leaving me only in my boxers and shoes. I tie the jerrycan to the tricycle an wheel off, what a weird day this has been.