Chapter 5

It's been three days since the death of our daughter. We have been walking for miles only to stop for a quick drink. Everyone seems a bit on the depressed side and most of our clothes are ripped.
We reach the next city and look for a department store that might possibly be classified as 'intact'. We find the ruins of a Walmart and head in through the rubble of the store. I find some clothes as so does Liz. Mason wonders off into the store and heads over to the toys, he sees a phone, a proper iPhone 5 with a slightly cracked screen. "Daddy! Daddy! I found a phone!" He exclaims. I take the phone out of his hand a look at it, it is still working which I found very weird. We kept on walking through some kind of urban city. it was quite musty and dull and all of the building were covered with graffiti.

I keep my head down. I don't want to look at anyone as I am disappointed in myself. I mean, how could I have left my daughter like that? A sudden rustle in an alleyway stops my self esteem lowering conversation with myself. "Everyone shhh" I whisper. There are two to three figures all standing around something. "Stay here and don't move." I whisper again.
I slowly creep down the alleyway, tiptoeing through the rubbish on the ground. I don't go right up to the figures but I do look in to where the are standing around. To my horror the aren't just standing but eating a small deer. I run quickly but end up tripping over some papers ...... God dammit. The zombies then turn around quickly with snarls on their face. I immediately take off back the alleyway to Liz and mason. The zombies are surprisingly fast and gain speed on us every second. I see a zombie knock Liz to the ground and without thinking I turn around get the end of my gun and smack the zombie in the head. Liz gets up and brushes herself off.

We soon slow down and start walking, a large hospital lies ahead of us. We head inside to check it out. I see a man wearing a doctors outfit walking around with a clipboard, "I am sorry we are full I can't take anymore patients" he says in a strong Australian accent. "um we were just checking this place out, hi I'm Joel." I say holding my hand out. "Oh yes sorry, I'm Dr. Pepperman" he replies with a smile. He takes us on a mini tour and bringus into his lab. "So doctor how does the disease work?" Liz says. " Well, the disease once gotten shuts down the respiratory system and the nervous system. After a few days it then starts the brain up again, but the only part of the brain that starts up is the part that enforces movement." He says smiling as if he just figured out the cure to the actual disease. " The only cure that would be possible is if an immune became non immune and was bitten and survived, which is practically impossible." he adds. A loud crash turns everyone's attention to the door.