Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

I gazed out of the window at the trees passing by. My sister was sitting next to me, swinging her feet back and forth and humming a tune. My dad was driving with one hand on the steering wheel, the other running through his mussed hair. He had a Bluetooth in and was fiddling with it.

He sighed, irritated, "Are you- What? No! God, no! Stop being dumb, Casey. I really fucking need this job deal and-" He pounded his fist against the wheel in frustration. Casey was his secretary and his fiancée.

I played with the frayed end of my shirt and watched as Finley ignored our dad's ranting and continued humming. I smiled faintly. She looked so much like mom with her really curly blonde hair in pigtails and a grin stretched over her face as she eagerly observed the beautiful scenery outside.

Dad turned on his blinker and said in a softer tone, "Look, honey, I'm sorry. I'm just really annoyed right now because you know how much this job means to me." I heard giggles on the other end and he rubbed his mouth. "I'll be home soon," he laughed. "Love you." He clicked the Bluetooth off.

I accidently ripped the end of my shirt and sighed. Eventually, we pulled up to a white home with chipped painting and a porch swing softly gliding back and forth. There were trees surrounding the house and broken concrete leading up to it. Standing on the porch was Grandma and Grandpa beaming widely at the sight of the van.

Dad turned off the van and hopped out of it. He went around to the back of the van and opened the trunk. Fin smiled at me and I laughed at the silly grin on her adorable face. I reached over and undid her seat belt. She stretched her short arms out to me and I picked her up, settling her on my hip, trying to find a comfortable spot.

"Ready to see Grandma and Grandpa again?" I asked her gently. She nuzzled her head into my shoulder and shook her head, her blonde curls tickling my face. I wrapped my arm tightly around her small body and whispered, "You'll love it, I promise."

I walked up to the porch with chipped paint, careful of the broken concrete walkway. I reached the end of the porch steps where they met us with an eager look. Fin looked up curiously from where she was hiding her head and squealed when she saw people in front of her. She buried her face back into my shoulder. I laughed and rubbed her back tenderly.

Grandma had a trembling hand over her mouth and said in awe, "She looks so much like Sarah." Grandpa laid a hand on her shoulder and rubbed it reassuringly.

It was true. I almost cried sometimes from how much she looked like Mom, but I'd never admit that sometimes the tears actually fell.

"She's beautiful," I agreed. Fin's chubby cheeks turned pink at that and I grinned at her. Grandma chuckled, wiped her eyes, and then turned her gaze to me. She looked at me head to toe with a serious expression.

"My, haven't you grown into a handsome, young man," she said, settling her fists against her hips.

I felt my cheeks warm and Grandpa groaned, saving me, "Carol, I think that's enough of you babying them." He held out his large hand for a handshake and told me, "It's nice seeing you again." His mouth curled into a smile.

I put the hand that wasn't clutching Fin in his and shook it once. "Likewise," I said. I wrapped both arms around Fin's curled up body.

Fin glanced up at Grandpa from under her eyelashes, who was holding his hand out to her. She cautiously put her tiny palm into his huge one and shook it quickly. She went back to burying her face into my shoulder.

Grandpa laughed and started to ask, "Where's Dav-" He was cut off.

A guy came around from the back of the house. I felt the breath leave my body as I watched him come towards us. He was muscular and tan, with dark brown hair that was slightly long, but not too long. It curled at the nape of his neck and was dripping with sweat. He had a cowboy hat on and a plaid shirt on. The jeans were torn and muddy, but fit his long legs perfectly. I gripped Fin tighter and felt my heart speed up. "Do you know where the wrench is? I can't seem to find it anywhere," he interrupted Grandpa, his deep voice a purr.