unknown feelings

It has been exactly a month since Moscow, a month since Beths big win against Borgov, and a month since she last had any contact with Benny.

Beth had headed straight to Kentucky once all the interviews, meetings, photoshoots, and appearances were over.

As for Benny, he was still stuck in the same old routine. Sleep, eat, chess, gamble, and then repeat the same exact shit until there was news of an upcoming tournament. As much as he had tried spending his time doing something, that thing being mostly just chess, he still felt as though something was missing. No matter what he did, the space that a certain chess player once took up was still there. At times he would catch himself staring at the phone that stood in the corner of his basement-apartment, waiting for a her to call.

But she never did.

It felt pathetic. It was pathetic. Benny fucking Watts not being able to get over what ever this feeling was. It felt as if someone had stamped on the name "Elizabeth Harmon" into his brain just like they did on every single chess magazine he came across. Every damn time he had crossed the street, he'd see those same eyes and red hair printed on something, rather that be the weekly newspaper, a poster, or the latest copy of chess review with the words "Elizabeth Harmons Astonishing defeat against the Soviets" over it in a big bold font. It just another reminder that she's still out there, more successful then ever, and doing great without his help while he was still living in the same shit hole he had been in for god knows how long, wasting his life away and not being able to get her out of his head while doing so.

He had thought of calling her himself once or twice but never went through with it.

The thing between him and Beth was like a game, and he had already made his move back during Moscow.

So it was her turn.

Beth had thought about calling him ever since she had made it home. Every day she would stare at the phone on the wall, debating rather or not to call him but she remembered their call before Moscow. The call where he deliberately told her to never call him again, which he had every right to do.

Beth had come to a realization during this time that what she felt for Benny is not the same feeling you have for your opponent or one night stand. They were much greater. They were more complex and Beth didn't know how to deal with any of it. She was a genius when it came to chess but feelings were never something she had understood. She would ponder on the thought of Benny feeling what she felt. He probably didn't. She thought about how the call in Moscow maybe wasn't a sign of affection or forgiveness, but just Benny's way of "teaming up like the soviets" so that it can be shown that the Americans can in fact beat Russia. Though Benny was never the patriotic type nor did he ever want to beat the soviets because it made the country look better.

That night, Beth hadn't been able to get that stupid pirate out of her head. Everything about him she hated and loved at the same time. God knows what had come over her when she quickly reached over for the phone placed on the edge of the night stand and began dialing his number.

Beth hadn't even thought of how late it was until she glanced at the clock on the wall.

3:45 a.m.

shit.

She didn't even know if he was awake, and if he was, what were the chances of him even being home. For all she knew, he could be at some bar, getting drunk and flirting with who ever. Before she could think about putting the phone back, a raspy voice spoke from the other end.