02| you're okay

[Five years earlier

[Five years earlier...]

꧁ Minho didn't understand how he could have been so terribly wrong about parties. They actually weren't half as bad as he had originally thought.

He had always seen parties as useless, crowded events with nothing particular to offer except booming in one's ears and a killing headache the morning after. And according to his older friends, it usually was that way, really, in all its chaotic glory. He just didn't mind it that night.

"We all need a little chaos," he concluded to himself.

He grinned dreamily, glossy eyes focused completely on the red cup in his hand. It was his third one for the night, and he was completely fascinated by the sourness of beer, having drunk only soju. His lean fingers danced over the wet rim and he found himself examining their movements.

"We have classes in the morning," Chan's soft voice came from beside him, but he only shook his head.

"And the day after that. And the one after that," he mumbled. "And then on Saturday and Sunday we'll be studying. Then Monday comes again, more classes. We're obviously not getting any younger, so just stop being a killjoy, please?"

By the end of his short, but barely comprehensible speech, he had an even wider smile directed at Bang Chan, one that told him to either stop ruining the fun or leave. Chan obviously chose the former, rolling his eyes. "I'm not taking you home."

Chan was probably the only semi-normal one in their friend group, at least, until he was loosened up and drunk, which they'd experienced only once before. That's why Minho had brought him to the party in the first place, it was just a matter of time before people started shouting about a kangaroo dancing on the table.

"Don't pretend you don't like being here, Channie." Chan only scoffed at that, and Minho laughed, completely aware of his friend's platonic crush on the birthday boy. "And don't worry about me, I'll call mum to pick me up."

If there was one good thing about Minho living with no father, it was forming a stronger bond with his mother.

His biggest confidence booster was the infamous, 'Oh you look so much like your mother,' that he received almost daily. And how could it not be? Lee Aesook was a beauty, even after all those years, with her cat-like eyes and warm smile. Up until he started school, Minho just couldn't like these things about himself, but after his mother placed a mirror in front of the two of them and pointed out all the similarities, he had smiled and kissed her cheek, and he never felt insecure again.