Chapter 1

"I don't understand... why?"
You try your best to hold in your sobs, as you hold the phone to your ear.
"I already told you the reason. Goodbye."
The line cut with a click. You stood there, slowly lowering your phone from your ear. You sat on the nearest chair, and gasped softly to prevent the tears from falling. You were about to go in for an interview, and you couldn't afford to have your makeup ruined. Besides, if you cry now, your watery eyes and the redness around them will give the fact away. You couldn't afford that. So you clenched your fist, inhaled deeply and controlled the influx of emotions.
"Y/N L/N, please report to the room. You will be interviewed now."
You looked up at the woman, giving her one of your dazzling smiles, and confidently strutted to the room in your heels, prepared to shine and get this job.
....
"Who were you talking to, Kunikida kun~"
Dazai popped up behind Kunikida's shoulder, trying to peek at his phone. Kunikida promptly shoved it in his pocket, hiding it from the bandaged detective's view.
"Get back to work, Dazai."
With that, he stomped off to his desk, drowning himself in piles of paper work.
Dazai was confused. He would usually get yelled at, or beaten by his spectacled colleague, but today he seemed to be in a bad mood. What must have happened?
He knew better than to irritate him further, so he left the office, deciding that a light stroll would help him feel refreshed.
He was sitting in a garden, observing the view, when he spotted a familiar mop of hair in the crowd. She was standing still, arms crossed, and head facing ahead. She didn't seem to see though, as her eyes were glossed over. She was lost in thought.
He got up from his perch on the bench, and began walking towards her. She didn't seem to notice him, even as he came to stand right in front of her, blocking the view of the pond she was supposedly admiring.
He placed a hand on her shoulder, gently nudging her.
She snapped out of her trance, and jumped slightly.
"Oh! Hey, Dazai."
You tried to give him your signature smile, one that you use to greet your close friends, but your lips weren't able to complete the task, the hole in your heart preventing them from doing so.
Dazai observed your face. You were clearly distraught. He knew you had an interview today, you had told him last night yourself. Maybe it didn't go according to plan? It doesn't matter, though, as he'll help you get your dream job. Even if it meant making some threatening calls to the heads of the company.
"You alright?"
He asked.
You looked away, shaking your head.
"Not really."
"It doesn't matter, Y/N. You can do better anyways."
She looked at him, teary eyed, and gulped down her sobs.
He stretched his arms, asking silently if he could hug her.
She pushed herself in his embrace. He could feel her slight shakes and the slight dampness on his shirt. You were a strong woman, never crying out in public, and trying your best to not lose control over your emotions. But you couldn't help the tiny tears that escaped.
He pet your head, trying to soothe you.
"Shh, it's OK. I'll help you get it all back on track, don't worry. I'll talk to them, and make them hire you!"
You pulled out of his embrace, eyeing him quizzically.
"Hire me?"
"Yeah! We'll get you that job!"
Dazai grinned.
"I got the job, Dazai..."
He stopped talking, and furrowed his brows.
"Then why are you sad?"
"Doppo broke up with me."