chapter fifteen

<>

Joachim started voluntary basic training in October. He hasn't spoken to Andra since it started. He knew she understood his duties to his family, the things he needed to do to live up to the name, and he missed her.

The last time they spoke on the phone, she slept on him because she barely had the time to sleep that week. Joachim understood the expectations the whole of Britain had on her. Everyone was waiting for her to fail, but she thrived. He was proud, and he felt pressure to do well. He wanted to deserve his Princess. He had to prove to everyone that he was worth it.

"Princess moves on from Belgian Prince to An English noble heir." A fellow cadet read out the story in the tabloid. Everyone turned to look at Joachim who froze.

"All right, men. Out of the room!" Joachim's roommate yelled out to the others who quickly dispersed back to their own rooms.

Joachim picked up the tabloid that fell when people were going out. It had Andra and a guy on the front page with the big headline sprawled across it. He flipped to the story.

"Princess Andra, a freshman in Cambridge, was spotted at a pub on Friday night with her best friends, the glamorous Lady Irina Marvella "Irma" Arundel and Lady Hyacinth Sinclair," he read. He let his thumb graze on a photo of a smiling Andra. She had a very wide smile that it made him smile too. "According to our source, Carson "Monty" Montgomery (heir to the Viscountcy Montgomery of Alamein) was brought by Benedict Seymour, Lady Irma's boyfriend, to join their small circle. Apparently, the Princess and Monty knew each other from childhood."

"You shouldn't worry yourself too much, mate. The Princess seems like a nice girl," his roommate commented.

"I'm not," Joachim said. He was telling the truth. Andra could never betray him, nor would she.

"The Hon. Mr. Carson Henry Law Montgomery is the youngest child and only son of The Hon. Henry Montgomery, grandson of David Montgomery, 2nd Viscount Montgomery of Alamein. His great-grandfather was Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein who was given the Viscountcy for his role in the Second Battle of El Alamein during WWII. Monty also shares a nickname with his war hero grandfather. The Sun found in a recent poll that Monty's lineage makes him a favourite match to Princess Andra among the British people, if not the Royal Family itself."

It irked him how the tabloid loved Monty. It was a safe bet that the Brits weren't fond of him being in a relationship with their Princess. It kind of hurt him. He was a Prince too, a son of a Princess and an Archduke. He was royalty, through and through, and yet he still wasn't a good enough choice.

<>

November 15, 2010

Andra had her mind on the tabloid she was holding in her hand as she rode in the car to travel to Clarence House. Her father asked her to come home to support William as they announce his upcoming nuptials, and she did so not because she was asked to but rather because she wanted to be there for her brother.

As the classic white exterior of Clarence House went into view, her mind drifted to Joachim. She hasn't been able to reach him because he's probably in training. It wasn't that she was concerned he believes that she'll drop him like a hot potato.

Because it wasn't the case. But there was something bugging her, and she couldn't quite place her finger on it.

Prince Charles stood outside the front door as he waited for his daughter to arrive. He already read the tabloid, and he didn't know what reaction to expect from Andra. She wasn't the baby royal that she was months ago but she wasn't out for a long time too.