☀︎︎ Chapter One ☀︎︎

{ narrators POV }
———————————
present day, 23rd May 2026, 7:36pm

it was true. she was pregnant. Betty prayed at the chance that it was a false positive but it wasn't. she took another test and went to the doctors to make sure.

now she had concrete proof she was in fact carrying a baby. don't get her wrong she was extremely grateful and happy that she was but it was so sudden.

Betty thought they would be well into their marriage before having kids but no, they had been married two weeks and she was already with child.

what will people think? the voice of her mom scolding Polly about being pregnant ran round her head. she didn't care about her image. why was this bothering her so much?

she didn't have much time to think about it. Betty had bigger problems. like telling Jughead.

it had been a week since she took the first test and three days since she went to the clinic with Veronica. now she had to tell Jug.

he was at work, Betty had been off because she was 'ill' meaning she had time to cook a nice dinner for them. she was making his favourite home-made meal, spaghetti.

she had just finished setting the table when-

"Betty i'm home!" Jughead said into the apartment, shutting the door. he turned to see his wife stood next to a fully set table, candles lit all over the apartment.

"we'll i know it's not our wedding anniversary, what's this all for?" he chuckled.

Betty giggled at his comment, "can't i just do something for my handsome husband?" she pulled him out a chair.

"no there's definitely an ulterior motive." he sat down, looking up at her suspiciously.

"okay maybe there is but i made your favourite!" she sang as she brought the spaghetti over to the table.

"aww thank you, Betts." he leaned up, kissing her on the cheek. she smiled before getting the garlic bread and drinks.

they dug into their meal making a bit of small talk about their day. "how are you feeling, any better?" Jughead asked, eating a fork of spaghetti.

Betty put her knife and fork down on her plate, making a 'clink' sound. "that's what i wanted to talk to you about."

she grabbed his hands in hers, his eyes widened in worry, "why what's wrong?"

their eyes bored into each other for a moment before Betty suddenly got up from the table. she came back with her hands behind her back. "i have some news."

she put her arms forward, revealing what she was hiding. Jughead examined it, a piece of paper and.. wait.

"is that?" he cut himself off as a frog caught in his throat. Betty handed him the stick, turning it round to show the two lines. she revealed the other one which had the word 'pregnant' on it with '2-3 weeks' underneath.

Jughead looked at it then up at Betty, then at it again. "you're- you're pregnant?!"

"yeah." she said quietly. Jughead stood up quickly, placing a hand on his wife's stomach.

"w..we're gonna be parents?!" his eyes filled with tears of joy.

"yeah, we are Juggie." Betty smiled, her eyes starting to water. he sighed, pulling her into a hug. he put a hand on the back of her head, tucking it into her shoulder. he kissed her head, rocking them side to side slowly.

he lets go suddenly, his face expression changes to full panic, "what if i'm not a good father? what if something goes wrong during the pregnancy? what if you die? what if the baby dies?"

Jughead ranted, Betty tried to calm him down but nothing was working. "what if i end up like my father? or even worse i end up like your father?"

"Jughead!" Betty yelled, grabbing his wrists. "Jug you will not be a bad father. your not gonna turn out like yours nor mine. nothings going to happen to me and nothing will happen to the baby."

she put a hand on his face, pulling his forehead to rest on his. his eyes met hers, his face softening, automatically calming him down. "how do you know that?"

"because of something you said to me about nine years ago when i had a freak out. "we're not our parents, Betty. we're not our family's."

when they looked into each other's eyes they could still see the same look they saw that first time they kissed. he put his hands on her neck, kissing her suddenly.

she fell back slightly but stabilised on his grip. she kissed back, putting her hand on his face. they pulled away slowly, his forehead still against hers.

he sighed, his shoulders relaxing as he did. the tension from his body was somewhat relieved.

"it's gonna be okay, Jughead. i'll be with you the whole time. we'll work through this together. she smiled. he smiled in reply, nodding slightly.

{ narrators POV }
———————————
flash-forward, 4th July 2028, 1:16am

"what happened, we were doing so good after the wedding?" Betty asks as she gets into bed.

"shit happens, Betty" Jughead shrugs as he pulls on a different shirt.

"are you cheating on me?" Betty asks.

"no! why would you even ask that?" Jughead scoffs.

"you never wanna touch me anymore!"

"why would you ever think i cheated on you! if anyone should be worried about cheating it's me!"

"excuse you!? are you really holding that against me?"

"well i don't know! we never talk anymore!" Jughead sighs.

"and who's fault is that!"

welcome to the sequel.. duh duh duh duhhh.
i hope you enjoy this book. it is very much set off of 'standing up even through the pain' by @/DrowningInYourWords1 so go check out their book.
hope you enjoy and don't forget to vote <3
- A💋