Chapter 1: The Nightmare

"Rune, huh? What a cool name!", Serena shouted with a bright smile on her face.

"Don't shout. I am not yet sure if that was my real name though.", Rune answered uncomfortably.

"Rune was way better than 'Farmer-504', though. Let's just stick to that name, okay?", Serena suggested and she sat beside him.

"Oh, and how did you figure out that it was your name?", Serena asked.

"I have had a dream lately. Someone was calling me 'Rune'.", he answered seriously.

"It's weird. Oh, by the way, how are your watermelons? Are they ready for the summer festival?", she added while looking at Rune's fields.

"I think they are. I just followed all your instructions.", Rune answered as he wiped his sweaty forehead.

"Good! The royals would be glad if they tasted those watermelons, especially Princess Lufia.", she added and looked at Rune.

"Why? Is it her favorite?", Rune asked nervously.

"Yes. She will pay you thrice or even higher than its normal price if she was satisfied with your watermelons. If that happens, you can renovate your house immediately to the same house I have right now. Or even better than mine!", Serena explained.

"Wow. I didn't know that. You hadn't even mentioned it earlier. So, that's why you are very excited about planting those watermelons, huh?", Rune said with a smirk on his face.

"Yes. It was also surprising that they gave you that task. I am still wondering why?", Serena said as her face turned to her fields.

"But enough of talking. We should get back to our work to finish earlier since we are going to shop later, okay?", Serena added and stood again to go on her fields.

"Again?!", Rune answered, but Serena just waved her hand and laughed.

It has been almost 5 months since Rune arrived in the town of Alkea. He was also working for almost 4 months with the help of Serena. Rune quickly learned a lot from her since then.

Every farmer in the town of Alkea was given a small piece of land that is enough for growing crops and a small house for their shelter. They are also given different sets of farming chores based on their experiences. These sets have different types of crops to be planted. In Rune's situation, he was given a set of crops that was not suitable for beginners, so Serena always helped him if he had questions.

After Rune finished his farm chores for the day, he took a bath and prepared himself for Serena's errand in the town later at night. While wearing his clothes, he noticed the scar on the left side of his chest. As he touched it, the door suddenly opened.

"Rune! Are you—", Serena shouted and got shocked at her own doings. She immediately went outside and closed the door.

"Hey!", Rune exclaimed as he turned his head to the door and later on wore his clothes quickly.

"I am sorry!", Serena shouted and laughed hard.

"Why are you laughing?", Rune asked as he finished wearing his clothes.

"You are an idiot! I told you to lock your doors at night!", Serena answered.

"So, it is my fault that you suddenly barged into my house?", Rune asked her in confusion.

"No. Let's just forget it. We should go now. The stores will be closed soon. Get outside now!", Serena exclaimed.

As Rune stepped outside, he was grabbed by Serena in his hand and the two of them ran towards the town. The first store that they visited was the general store, where they bought new seeds for the fall season.