F O U R

*not edited

Annabelle is nice to me the entire time that my family and I are here. The king ordered his cooks to create a really nice meal to feed us on request from Annabelle that I stay longer. I don't think the king wanted to feed us, but to make his little girl happy, he did. "Father, I want Lucy to come back to the castle regularly." The king sighs while slightly glancing at me sadly, "I'm afraid that may not happen too often." I see a darkness cascade in Annabelle's eyes. It was almost as if she couldn't be told no.

"Father, are you denying me this simple thing? I thought you loved me." The king moves his hand to lay on top of Annabelle's, but she quickly pulls her arm free, as if she's been burnt by the sudden attention her father has given her. "Very well princess, Lucy shall visit the castle regularly to keep my little girl happy." The king looked to momma and papa in all his greatness-we all know-we can't refuse the command.

Papa rests his hand on my shoulder, "would you like that little cub?" I could not say the truth, because I was trapped from it-simplistically, I did not want to come here on a regular basis. If i never had to see this place again it would be too soon, it reminded me of the king's cruelty towards his followers. He truly was an awful king. He bought so much petty un-important things for his castle, but he couldn't even manage to put us in a decent house that was not infested with rats and mold.

"Of course Papa, it would be my honor." Papa physically sighs, thanking me for my cooperation. It truly was unfair for us. If I would have said no, the king can-by law-punish Momma and Papa. I could not believe what I have been forced to agree to. I think I will go mad if I have to spend so much time with this spoiled, rich, brat. Momma's words returned to me, "we must treat all of God's creations with such a caring that we would treat ourselves." I do not think twice about my desicion to be nice to Annabelle, for, perhaps she can change. I am not going to hold my breath though.

It was hard to understand why Annabelle wanted me to visit regularly-it doesn't even seem as though she likes me all that much.

~~~

After a long day at the palace, Momma and I still have to unpack. Papa stays outside to thank the carriage driver. Momma scrapes off the mold from the wall with an old knife, and I dust around the house. We hum along to the same tune for hours, until Papa joins with us.

I think to myself, 'oh how I love my family'

Momma tucks me into the bed that Papa set up while we were cleaning, and she reaches into her dress pocket. "I know you didn't want to come here, so while you were playing with Annabelle, I snuck out to get this made for you." Momma slips out a necklace-no, a beautiful gold locket. Jewelry is so expensive here, and my heart overran with joy. It was in the shape of a heart, it had beautiful designs on the front. A little star charm hung beside the heart.

"Momma, it's beautiful!" My face fell, "but you didn't want to leave either, what is your present?" She smiled warmly at me, "you are my present always, child."

I clasp the metal around my neck, and hug Momma tightly, "a beautiful locket to remind you of your strength."

Momma opened the locket, and I know it had to have cost a fortune. In small, near handwriting was my name along the rim of the heart.

I sleep well tonight.