॥ महिषासुरमर्दिनिस्तोत्रम् ॥ (The Hymn on Durga, Slayer of Mahishasur)

अयि गिरिनन्दिनि नन्दितमेदिनि विश्वविनोदिनि नन्दिनुतेगिरिवरविंध्यशिरोधिनिवासिनि विष्णुविलासिनि जिष्णुनुते ।भगवति हे शितिकण्ठकुटुंबिनि भूरिकुटुंबिनि भूरिकृतेजय जय हे महिषासुरमर्दिनि रम्यकपर्दिनि शैलसुते ॥ १ ॥Meaning: Oh daughter of the mountain, who...

गिरिवरविंध्यशिरोधिनिवासिनि विष्णुविलासिनि जिष्णुनुते ।
भगवति हे शितिकण्ठकुटुंबिनि भूरिकुटुंबिनि भूरिकृते
जय जय हे महिषासुरमर्दिनि रम्यकपर्दिनि शैलसुते ॥ १ ॥
Meaning: Oh daughter of the mountain, who rejoices the earth, who amuses the universe, revered by Nandin, who resides on the peak of the greatest mountain Vindhya (Vindhyachal), who amuses Vishnu, revered by those aspiring victory, Oh Bhagwati, wife (household) of the blue-necked (Shiva), one with many families, who has done a lot, Oh slayer of Mahishasur, who has beautiful hair, the daughter of mountain, we hail you.

सुरवरवर्षिणि दुर्धरधर्षिणि दुर्मुखमर्षिणि हर्षरतेत्रिभुवनपोषिणि शंकरतोषिणि किल्बिषमोषिणि घोषरते ।दनुजनिरोषिणि दितिसुतरोषिणि दुर्मदशोषिणि सिन्धुसुतेजय जय हे महिषासुरमर्दिनि रम्यकपर्दिनि शैलसुते ॥ २ ॥Meaning: Oh bestower of boons on gods, who seizes those difficult to seize (control), who patiently tolerates those with ugly faces, engrossed in delight, who nourishes the three worlds, who pleases Shankar, who destroys sins/evil, engrossed in loud sound, who is angry with Danavas and Daityas, who removes madness/illusion, Oh daughter of the sea, Oh slayer of Mahishasur, who has beautiful hair, the daughter of mountain, we hail you.

अयि जगदंब मदंब कदंबवनप्रियवासिनि हासरतेशिखरिशिरोमणितुङ्गहिमालयशृंगनिजालयमध्यगते ।मधुमधुरे मधुकैटभगंजिनि कैटभभंजिनि रासरतेजय जय हे महिषासुरमर्दिनि रम्यकपर्दिनि शैलसुते ॥ ३ ॥Meaning: Oh mother of the world, my mother, who habitats in her favourite forests of Kadamba, who is engrossed in fun/laughter, who lives in her own home amidst the peak-crown-jewel-like peak of the mountain Himalaya, who is sweet like honey, who condemns/disrespects Madhu and Kaitabha, who dispels/defeats Kaitabh, who is engrossed in dance, Oh slayer of Mahishasur, who has beautiful hair, the daughter of mountain, we hail you.

अयि शतखण्डविखण्डितरुण्डवितुण्डितशुण्डगजाधिपतेरिपुगजगण्डविदारणचण्डपराक्रमशुण्ड मृगाधिपते ।निजभुजदण्डनिपातितखण्डविपाटितमुण्डभटाधिपतेजय जय हे महिषासुरमर्दिनि रम्यकपर्दिनि शैलसुते ॥ ४ ॥Meaning: Oh conqueror of elephants, who breaks the trunks/heads of (enemy's) elephants and the headless bodies into a thousand pieces, whose lion (the chief of forest animals) splits the faces and powerful trunk's of the enemy's elephants and the cruel (or the demon Chanda), who splits the trunk of trees (bodies of enemy or Munda, the demon) and made the pieces fall down with her own rod-like hands, who is the chief of soldiers, Oh slayer of Mahishasur, who has beautiful hair, the daughter of mountain, we hail you.