Prologue

"It's raining, it's pouring."

The small boy watches the rain from the window. It's gray and gloomy outside, and the raindrops drizzle down the glass panes.

"The old man is snoring!"

"Please Abigail, be quiet!" He yells at his little sister.

Abigail sticks her tongue out at her older brother. "I'm bored, don't be so mean Ashy."

"What have I told you about calling me Ashy?!"

Abigail sighs and goes upstairs to her room, as Ashton turns back to the window, his elbows resting on the windowsill, his chin resting in his hands. "Mum where are you..." Ashton whispers, and turns to the digital clock nearby. It's 6:43, and she was supposed to be back by 5:00. His father is in bed, tired from his day at work and Ashton and Abigail are alone.

The thing is, it seems like Ashton's mum is a total jerk, leaving her 10 year old son and 6 year old daughter home alone and coming home late, but Mrs. Irwin is one of the kindest people you'd ever meet. She does all this work for her babies, and Ashton knows that.

But all mothers are supposed to be home on their son's birthday. Ashton looks out the window a few more moments, before sighing sadly and getting up. She'll be back soon, Ashton tells himself. She'll be back.

But Ashton is wrong. She doesn't come back. Happy Birthday to me, Ashton thinks dragging himself upstairs and into his bed.