The End of One Task Begets the Next

Teech had been at his divinely-ordained task for a full two weeks, pausing only to rest when he was too weary to continue, or to grab a quick meal of the jerked meat he carried for when his God would have him journey. Already, he'd consigned a thousand knights and nearly five hundred paladins to the bog below the sod. Teech was not only exhausted physically, he was emotionally drained by the consistent carnage and senseless death surrounding him.

Finally, there remained one last victim, laying slightly apart from all the others Teech had already buried. Despite his pleas, Teech's God had not seen fit to allow him even one survivor of this terrible travesty, which had brought Teech to the bog to begin with. After two weeks of burying the dead, he had no hope that this last victim might be alive, but like the others, she deserved to have her face seen and remembered by one who would grieve over her.

He approached cautiously. Overhead, the carrion birds had redoubled their attacks until they resembled a swarm of angry hornets, daring Teech's protective shield until they blocked a great deal of the early evening sunlight. Even the dog pressed close to Teech's side.

Teech noticed that this last body, set apart from the others, was caked in the black muck of the bog and bore wounds of battle, unlike her compatriots. One leg and the arm of the same side lay at abnormal angles, obviously broken. Dried blood in her white-blond hair spoke of a glaring head wound, which must surely have broken her skull. Also, unlike the others of her order, this paladin didn't smell burned, the way the others had.

For some reason, the carrion birds had not despoiled her body despite the blood and injuries she evidenced. After two weeks, the chances of accidentally opening the dead upon moving them had taught Teech caution. Expecting to find only open eyes made opaque by death, and a distorted, discolored expression, Teech gently turned her body over.

Instead of the death he expected, a pair of light green eyes fluttered and a weak moan of pain brought a rush of joy to Teech's heart. His God had granted him one soul to rescue.

"Thank You!" Teech exclaimed as his weariness fled and the oppressive misery of his task was forgotten in the dawn of hope. The task was over and a new one assigned. "Oh, thank You, my Lord!"

She took a breath that rattled alarmingly. Reminded afresh of his new task, Teech dropped his gaze to her face. She was so young! There was a flicker of fear in her light green eyes, that was quickly followed by resignation.

"It's all right," he assured her quietly, knowing she viewed him as an enemy, "I won't hurt you, but we can't stay here." As carefully as he could, Teech picked her up.

She gasped as her broken body moved and, against the fingers he held at her ribcage, Teech felt the grate of multiple broken ribs. Her eyes rolled back in her head as the paladin succumbed to the pain. Knowing she was unconscious, Teech ran for the trees.

Overhead, the enraged carrion birds accompanied Teech, attempting to attack him and reclaim their prize. They didn't stop until he was deep into the forest that belonged to his God.

Even unconscious, the wounded paladin shivered under the shadows of the trees. Dressed in the lightweight silken clothing of her people, the paladin's damp, muck-encrusted garments would never keep her warm enough. Even her boots, with the thick soles of a warrior, were lightweight; of a white, kid leather designed to be as much pleasing to the eye as functional.

Teech knew he had to keep her warm. The shock of her injuries would prove deadly if she grew cold. Safe from the marauding birds, Teech stopped to wrap her in his own clothes- his leather jacket around her upper body, thick, woolen overshirt around her legs.

There was a hot spring in the vicinity, he knew, though it would be an hour's walk from where he was. With the paladin wrapped warmly, Teech lifted her again and resumed walking. The hot spring would be his best option for tending her wounds and keeping her warm.