Chapter 2

Groaning Alfred woke up to the rather angry voices shouting back and forth. Getting up as quietly as he could, Alfred made his way across his room, out the door and downstairs.

"WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?! Angelletta this is one of your stupidest ideas yet, what will happen when-"

The voice of a certain Frenchman came from the direction of the library, Alfred reached the door as England's voice drowned France's out completely.

"SHUT UP BLOODY FROG! MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS; THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!"

Flinching back Alfred shivered, England's 'THIS IS FINAL SO DEAL WITH IT' voice was really scary. Only second the brits quiet angry voice... pants are wet from that tone England had only used in front of Alfred once.

"IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ME! AND THE OTHERS! WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU PLAN TO-"

"BLOW IT OUT YOUR-!"

"England?"

Both men flinched as Alfred's quiet voice called out, turning to look at the young American as he peered into the room still mostly behind the door. Just in case...

"Alfred... what are you doing out of bed love?"

England asked calmly smiling at the worried boy. Stepping into the room a little further, Alfred eyed England suspicious

"I heard you shouting and got worried... is France picking on you again?"

France gasped, placing one hand over his heart dramatically

"You wound me America, I 'ave (have) never-"

"Shut up frog."

Arthur hissed, with a displeased look on his face France glared at the brit. Unspoken words traveled between the two, until England's burning emerald seemed to win. Sighing France rubbed his eyes

"Alright... 'ou (you) are going to regret this Angelletta..."

The Frenchman muttered under his breath, before looking at a very confused America with sad blue eyes.

"Ado America..."

Walking coolly past England and his burning gaze, France paused to lightly ruffle Alfred's hair. Glancing over the boy's' head France met Arthurs stare evenly,

"I 'ope (hope) 'ou know what 'ou are doing Angelletta... for America's sake"

France said oddly serious, before leaving without another word. England sighed rubbing his eyes and slumping into his chair. Going over to the window Alfred watched France walking down the path leading to the main gate. Noticing someone was watching him, France turned to meet the startled boy's gaze. With a half-smile France waved over his shoulder before disappearing from sight.

"Arthur are you okay?"

Open one eye Arthur jumped slightly as Alfred was only inches from his face. Smirking Arthur mussed up Alfred hair,

"Course love, don't worry about me. I'm made of pretty tough stock."

Nodding Alfred was still worried, after a few rather long seconds of staring at each other Arthur suddenly jumped up.

"Gottcha! Come on then, where is that smile you've grown so famous for?"

Arthur demanded in mock anger, Alfred's eyes widen. Quickly hiding the smirk on his face with a very pronounced frown, he met the sparkly green eyes of his "captor" evenly. Humming thoughtfully, Arthur closed his eyes as if in deep thought

"Well then how can I persuade that smile I have grown rather found of to grace me with its presence?"

Arthur said rubbing his chin as if he had a beard, holding the now struggling boy easily with one arm. Snapping his fingers, Arthur smiled slyly down at the little American

"Ah yes, now I remember..."

"NO!"

Alfred cried out, trying desperately to escape the brits grip, to no avail. Tickling the boy mercilessly Arthur cried out in his old pirate voice

"Do ye surrender th'e smile yet laddy?"

Laughing so much it was hard to breath, Alfred gasped out

"Never!"

Closing one eye England grinned wickedly at him, giving him only small moments to catch his breath

"Arh ye be wise not to go against Capt. Kirkland, terror of all seven seas. I always get th'e treasure I seek, and I be seeking th'e smile of one Alfred Jones!"

Struggling to keep his frown even, Alfred shook his head

"I refuse to give my treasure to even the great Capt. Kirkland"

He gasped out between ragged breaths, his blue eyes shining as brightly as the "pirates" green one.

"Ye be a tough cookie to crack, but the Capt. always gets his treasure,"

Falling to the floor the pair light heartedly wrestled before Arthur recaptured his giggling "Victim" Despite his best efforts Alfred couldn't hide his huge grin anymore, eye's lighting up the pirate now cried out in triumph

"AH HA!  Th'e legendary smile of one Alfred Jones! Once again Capt. Kirkland gets th'e treasure in which 'e seeked!"

Sticking out his tongue at Capt. Kirkland, Alfred panted to get his breath back. But his plan to do this were canceled until further notice, when this rude gesture was spotted

"Mutiny! No one sticks 'is (his) tongue out in the presence of the great Capt. Kirkland, especially at him!"

Squeaking in delight, Alfred wiggled away laughing as he raced down the hall closely pursued by Arthur.

"Can't catch me!"

Alfred cried out darting outside; Arthur was more than happy to except this challenge. The chase lasted past the rose garden, around the pond. Nearly in the pond a few times, until finally Arthur manged to catch the lightning quick boy. It was by surprise however, Alfred's startled squeal, paired with struggle in the already unbalanced brit's arms ended with them both... with a loud splash... in the pond...

Bursting back to the surface, and after a few frantic gasps for air, they glanced over at the soaked, water weed covered person beside them. Smirking forcing back their giggles at the sight, before just flat out laughing at the other. Alfred and Arthur sat in the pond for a few minutes just smirking at each other, until a passing duck caused another fit of giggles.

"Come along love, what say we get cleaned up?"

Arthur finally said standing up, trying to ignore the filthy state of his suit, holding out one hand in offering to the smiling boy. Alfred accepted the gesture,

"What say indeed."

(To be continued...)