ink [part 1/2]

// school shooting

Muffled, frightened screaming.

Then the sickening sound of a gunshot.

From the floor above, there was glass shattering and thundering footsteps as students pushed and shoved each other, sobbing in their vain attempts for escape.

Another shot, a bloodcurdling shriek following it.

5up huddled next to Fundy. Miraculously, the half-fox had come to drop off supplies to 5up's professor when the screams started. Everyone had stopped what they were doing, dead silent until they had heard the clicking of a gun. They had all panicked, though whispering, expect for their professor, who had quietly but forcefully directed them all towards the cabinets and closets.

And now the two crouched inside one of the side cabinets, art supplies spilled out on the floor in front of it. The only thing that could be heard was the uncontrollable, hysterical weeping of unhopeful peers, the action taking place just a few meters above, and their panic-stricken breath.

Eventually, there was little to no sound coming from the upper floor. 5up assumed most of the students had evacuated, though there was one last one- most likely the suspect- spitting insults and breaking glass.

The crack between the cabinet's doors emitted enough light for 5up and Fundy to barely see one another. They stared at their own shoes, silence between them stretching out for an uncomfortable amount of time.

"Five?" Fundy finally broke the still air, the nickname uttered nearly inaudible.

"Shh," 5up hissed as an unrecognizable shout erupted from the floor above. Two younger voices raised at each other, then scuffling, which 5up assumed was a mock fight slowly turning into a real one.

"Whoever the fuck that is isn't going to hear us down here," Fundy muttered in a shaky voice as the fighting grew louder. "They'd had to have supersonic hearing or something."

He shakily sighed in reply.

"Five?"

"Okay- fine. What is it?"

"Do you think we're going to be okay?

"Of course, why wouldn't we?"

"You're. . . shaking. . ."

"No. I'm not."

"Five. . ."

"Fundy. I'm fine."

"No you're not. Please tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing. Nothing at all."

"It's okay. You can tell me."

Another gunshot, unhinged cackling following. 5up shook, fear gripping his body and threatening to choke him. He quickly glanced at Fundy, watching him flinch at the sound. 5up took a deep breath and prayed for his voice to stay strong.

"This is. . . this just reminds me of something not-so-great."

Fundy ran shaky fingers through his ruffled hair. "Do you want to tell me. . . ?"

"No, not really."

"You don't have to."

"No shit."

. . .

"Sorry. . . I just really don't want to go through this right. . ." 5up's voice started breaking. ". . . right n-now. . ." A lump formed in his throat, agonizing memories flowing through him. 5up curled up and hid his face, trying to hide the incoming tears from Fundy.