Part Four

He awoke in a luxurious bed, soft, oh so soft. The fleeting thought that he wouldn't be able to leave it was somewhat unnerving. Then he felt a cool cloth being placed upon his forehead. His eyes opened to find Julian caring for him. Perhaps he really had been concerned. He had the opportunity to kill him, lock him away, do as he pleased, but he didn't take it.

"Welcome back, mister Noir," he crooned; then in his naturally saccharine voice, "It seems the tea had been a little too strong for you." 

A hearty rumble of irritation resonated from his chest. He'd never been put in this situation of needing such attention, it made him feel weak. His hand lifted to grip Julian's wrist, a silent warning to cease. The man held a look of slight offense before he gave that damned smile that tormented him. He withdrew.

"Remain here, I shall fetch you a glass of water."

And with that, he left.

Lucas gazed around the room, comforting and demure. A contrast to the rest of the abode. Groaning, he got out of the bed. He went to the small writing desk set in the corner. Taking the pen left there he quickly jotted down a farewell poem, inspired by the turn of events:

     Lines blurred
     Insomnia
     I slipped into insanity
     Terror, disgrace, humiliation
     I reeled back
     I craved
     I came to

Satisfied, he left the room.

When Julian returned to the empty room he scanned it, his keen senses honing in on the note left. Setting the glass down, he read it. He found it utterly profound. But he felt an anger in the sudden departure.

Lucas made his way toward the front door, little remorse in the fact that he was abandoning hospitality, when he heard a bellowing, "Stop!"

He turned to see Julian striding toward him, displeasure apparent.

"You will not leave."

His teeth clenched, he had no wish to stay, it was clear he was no match for the man's intensity. But Julian insisted, "Stay. You are unwell." A heavy pause, then further attempt to sway him, "We will have a meal. Let me do this for you."

The offer was tempting, but the irritation he felt did not subside, "You are not my caregiver."

"I will not let you wallow in your own filth! Do you think I do not see it? I can taste your neglect."

"You pity me," he stated.

Julian stepped closer, his voice lowering, serious, "I admire you."

That was what he needed to hear. Acceptance. No one had ever shown him compassion for his dirty deeds, for his sour perception. He realized then that he could no longer live without it.

With remaining reluctance, he gave in, "I will dine with you."

Julian calmed, but there was no smile this time. He turned on his heel, leaving for the kitchen.

Lucas took to examining every detail of the foyer, finding curiosity in every trinket, most of which looked quite old. Some ancient. It was a fair enough pastime as he waited. But sooner than he had expected, dinner was served.

First wine was served. Strangely Julian poured a glass for himself from one bottle and a glass for him from another, no explanation for why. Then he sat close to him, his chair turned just enough for them to face one another. The closeness bothered him, but he pushed the irritation aside, opting instead to enjoy what was provided to him.

The dinner consisted of oysters and asparagus, chili chocolate with strawberry compote, and maca root infused tea.

Lucas knew what he was doing, he knew those were all aphrodisiacs, but he indulged nonetheless. Though, it didn't help in the slightest that Julian was eyeing him in that provocative way of his as he slid the oysters into his mouth, his lips glistening with the juice. Ever alluring.