009 | quaintrelle cousin

ASH

ASH

Ash frowned uneasily as his phone rang for the second time. His mom was calling him. He could decline it now and make up an excuse for later but somehow he felt the fear of being caught. He face-palmed at himself for being scared of something so trivial. But he had learnt from his childhood that nothing could get past his mother. 

Eventually, he picked up the phone reluctantly and kept it near his ear. "Hello?" 

"Mind telling me where you were?" came the blunt question with a lot of doubtfulness in her voice. He sighed at her ridiculous way of greeting him. He wasn't sure what that woman was thinking or what she would say next; she was just so unpredictable. Fortunately, he kept his cool and answered casually.

"Am I not allowed to use the restroom?" he shot back, making sure to convey his annoyance through the words. Delia just hummed from the other end with raised brows. She felt something off for some unknown reason. It was just a hunch though but she still questioned Ash anyways. Not that she expected him to tell her if anything was wrong. He had a bad habit of keeping his worries to himself.

"Kendra or Jim should have already informed you why I came to Tokyo. I will be staying here for a while until things settle down. Anyways, is everything alright there?" Delia inquired. The auburn-eyed man took a deep breath and let out a small 'hn' to his mother's question. He wasn't particularly lying or saying anything so it was really a lie. Atleast it was to him. 

"Okay, I will call you frequently to get updates. Take care, Ash" and with that she hung up. Why couldn't she initiate a proper conversation with him like she used to? He was her son and yet she couldn't let him open up to her without him hesitating. Her eyes followed to the photograph that she secretly carried everywhere. Her auburn orbs hovered over her once complete family as a lone tear fell from her eye.

They still loved and teased each other but still something felt missing. Ash cared for her a lot and as his mother, she too cared for him, most probably more than he ever did. Then why could Delia feel that everything was just a string of nothingness? She walked over to the window of the hotel she was residing in and looked at the sky solemnly. 

She only hoped that her  son would come back. Little did she know, Ash was also thinking the same thing. Even though, he resolved that he would never see him again.