Overprotective

Overprotective

Meredith is scheduled for surgery, and Addison is having a difficult time with it.

"Is she okay," says Addison, as she passes Meredith in the morning.

"I'm fine," says Meredith, even though she's feeling feverish.

"Are you sure," says Addison, putting her hand on Meredith's shoulder.

"Yeah-" Meredith groans, but then she gets sick on the floor, so Addison scoops her up, and gets her some water.

"You're not fine," says Addison.

"I'm fine," says Meredith, as she leans into Addison's shoulder. "I can go back to work..."

"No, no you can't," says Addison, fussing over her, and bringing back some ice.

"Like I said, I'm-" Meredith is sick again, and that's when Addison calls Bailey in.

"Can you run all of the tests? She could have caught something, or she could have internal damage, or God forbid she could be pregnant, and-" Addison rambles.

"We'll take this one step at a time," Dr. Bailey says pointedly.

"Do I need to take time off work?" Addison frets.

"Oh no, don't do that. I'm fine," says Meredith.

"You're around the hospital, it should be okay," says Bailey.

"Okay, page me if you need me," says Addison.

"I will, I promise," says Meredith, grinning.

"Okay," says Addison, as she leaves.

The moment Addison is out of earshot, Meredith whimpers, and asks Bailey if she can have some morphine.

"That bad?" says Bailey.

"Yeah," says Meredith, groaning. "Addison worries too much. I didn't want to worry her more."

"I'll see what I can do," says Bailey, as she goes to collect Meredith's test results.

"Well, you're not pregnant," says Bailey.

"Oh good," Meredith sighs in relief. "Can I have morphine now?" she asks her.

"You can," says Bailey, as she goes off to get some.

"How is she?" Addison asks at the nurse's station between patients.

"Not pregnant," says Bailey.

"She'll be happy to know that," Addison smiles. Addison can't wait to have children, but Meredith is younger, and she's not ready yet (especially during her internship), and Addison respects that.

"Tell her I'll be over in a few hours," says Addison. "And tell her-"

"I got this," Bailey smiles.

"Okay-" says Addison nervously. "Okay..."

"She'll be fine," says Bailey.

"I know, she's so tough and wonderful, but I care about her so much-" Addison smiles.

"I know you do," says Bailey. "It's reassuring, usually. When it's not a huge pain in my ass," she smiles.

"Alright well, I gotta go. Give her my best," says Addison, as she heads off to surgery.

"Grey, you have the following symptoms. What is your diagnosis?" says Bailey.

"Appendicitis," says Cristina, looking up from her magazine.