Chapter 6: A Special Day

It was nearly midnight. Triton glanced at the old brass clock on the bedside table and scowled, pressing his pillow to his face. He was exhausted from the day's work, but his body refused to go to sleep.

Triton kicked the heavy covers off and sat up, wincing as the old bed squeaked. The walls of the small cottage were paper-thin and he didn't want to wake Frank. Stumbling into the dark room, he managed to find the box of matches on his desk.

He rubbed his eyes and squinted, searching for the lantern. The candle was barely a silhouette in the dark room and Triton cursed under his breath as he burned his finger trying to light it.

The small lantern barely illuminated half the room, but Triton didn't want to waste resources by lighting another candle.

He pulled out the wooden chair and sat down heavily on it, patting his sleep-messed hair down. He opened the worn book on the small table and flipped through it, careful not to rip the yellowing pages.

Triton poured over the photographs, his eyes scanning the pages until he found the photo he was looking for.

A young, blond boy sat in his mother's lap. The pretty woman was laughing, looking up at a broad-shouldered man whose arms were wrapped around her shoulders. The man's attention was fixed on the little boy, a wide smile spread out on his face as he stared proudly at his son.

Triton felt a small smile touch his own lips. The photo had been taken at one of the balls in the capital, only a few weeks before his father had died and his mother had passed shortly after. It was one of the only memories of his parents that he had left.

Uncle Fester had given it to him for his fourteenth birthday a couple of years ago. Triton felt guilt flood him at the thought of his kind-hearted uncle. He had given Triton much more than a shabby scrapbook. He had made sure that Triton had a place to call home.

But, Triton had run away with nothing more than a note telling his aunt and uncle not to come after him. He had left them behind. He had left his sister behind. It was the only way to keep them safe. He didn't know what he would do if the government came after them. He couldn't be the reason that they got taken into custody.

So, he had crept out of bed before sunrise and taken off with nothing more than a piece of bread, a canteen, and a map that he had circled the closest safe house on. When he had gotten there, Frank had welcomed him with open arms. Usually, Uniques left a couple of weeks after they received the help they needed, but it had been almost two years since Triton had darkened Frank's doorstep.

In return for food and sanctuary, Triton worked for the old man and helped out with whatever was needed. But, it hadn't taken long for Triton to start to think of Frank as family.

Triton closed the book and returned it to its place at the back of the desk. Careful not to touch the hot wax, he blew out the lantern and hung it on the hook above his bed. He climbed back into bed - sighing as the lumpy mattress creaked again - and closed his eyes. Usually, the book helped him sleep, but he felt even more awake. He stared at the ceiling for a few more minutes before his stomach growled.

Triton sighed. He stood back up and raised his arms above his head, stretching. He quietly walked to the door and it squeaked painfully as he opened it.

"Triton?"

The boy looked up. A man was sitting on one of the chairs at the circular table, his glasses lopsided on his face. He scratched his grey beard and raised his eyes expectantly at Triton.

"What are you doing up so late? We have a busy day tomorrow."

"I couldn't sleep," Triton admitted. "I was hoping that something to eat would help."