Chapter 10 The Great Get Away

At 6:30 Jeffrey starts his car and pulls out of the driveway. I wait at least 3 minutes before I even think about trying to open the door. I run to the door and look for a lever, there isn't one. I pull and push but nothing happens. Finally I only have one more choice, break through it with the chair. I grab the chair and thrust it toward the door. I break a small piece out so I go from there. I hit the door over and over until the door breaks just enough that I can crawl through. I get out of my room and take off running. I am in a dark hallway that so far leads to nowhere. I keep going until I come to another door. I open it up to a staircase. I have no idea where it leads but it is my only choice. I fly up the stairs until I hit my head on what seems to be a ceiling. I push and push, finally the floorboard moves. I push it out of the way and crawl into the living room. I know now I just have to find a phone call my mom or 911. I can go home, I can get out of here. Until I hear the front door opening.
  I quickly and quietly jump in the closet that is slightly open. If he has to put his jacket away I am screwed. I hear him walk by the closet he stops and looks around. Shit I forgot to put the floorboard back. He runs downstairs frantically I hear him yelling "Rowan where are you God damn it." I grab a jacket and run. I don't have shoes so the rock driveway is going to hurt like hell. I open the front door and shut it quietly. I take off running, I don't feel the rocks because my adrenaline is too much. I run and run but the freaking driveway never ends. I come to a cross. Do I go left or right? I run left hoping the highway is somewhere close. Then my mind is flooded with thoughts. What if I went the wrong way? What he planned for me to run this way. I can't stop though, I have made it this far. When I come to the end of the driveway I hear Jeffrey's car coming down the driveway. I have no place to hide. I know that Jeffrey's cabin is south of Houston so I keep running south. He won't turn that way so he will never see me. Now I just gave to find a car to help me. Until then I am just going to hide in the brush alongside the road and make sure that Jeffrey is long gone.
     ............................................................................................................................

I wake to a car horn. What the...? Where am I? The sun is shining bright right into my face. It has to be about 10am. I fell asleep in the brush...alongside the highway. How did no one see me? I don't know but I need to get out of here. I walk farther into the trees so that I am concealed. I walk and walk but still I found no one. Then I see it. A red suburban coming, I run to the side of the road. I wave my hands frantically but they pass. So I walk more and more and it starts getting dark. Dusk has hit and still my family and friends think I am dead. I go to a big pile of brush up in the trees and put my hood up. I will just have to sleep here tonight.