Chapter 28

The next few weeks went by quickly. I slowly got used to the role of being Colton's girlfriend and it was actually easier than I thought it would be. I was good at the smiling and waving when needed, being in his arms at the right moments, going to brunches and dinners and also making the media happy and keeping their attention away from the picture that started it all. Barely anyone was talking about it anymore. I even slept over at Colton's place frequently, but we haven't slept together since that one time. He hasn't made a move on me, keeping our relationship strictly friendly, which I was happy for. I didn't want to get in too deep with him and make him think that I actually wanted a relationship, because I didn't. I only had to keep up this ruse for one more week and then I would be able to pretend that we broke up and decided it was easier to be coworkers and friends. I couldn't wait to stop being someone's arm candy.

            Roman was still treating me like he didn't care about my existence, and I was actually getting used to that as well. I didn't have late night dreams about him anymore and I rarely saw him in the weeks that passed because he was apparently on business trips around the states.

            "Are you even listening to me?" Lisa asked me, irritation evident on her face. I blinked, getting out of my thoughts.

            "Yes. You said after five minutes, you want me to jump in and ask a question to prompt the others to start joining in on the discussion." I responded with no enthusiasm at all. She grunted and went back to her papers. She opened her mouth to speak again, but her office door opened, making her look up.

            "What do you want, Drakos?" she asked with an annoyed tone, and I didn't even react like I would've before. I just concentrated on the papers in front of me, trying my best to pretend I wasn't even in the room. His minty scent filled the room and I inhaled discreetly just a little bit. He may not have much effect on me now, but he still smelled good.

            "I'm going on a business trip to New York for a few days, maybe a week depending on how long negotiations take. I need you to come with me."

            She made a face. "Why? I have so much to do here and don't want to waste it being your arm candy."

            Roman sighed. "Lisa, that's literally the point of this business relationship of ours. I need you. Please, just do this for me."

            Hm, so he used that line on everyone I see. I shifted in my seat, still pretending not to be here.

            "Like I said, I'm going to be busy. Take Violett here with you. She's arm candy enough."

            I straightened up when she said my name with an almost compliment and immediately shook my head. "Nope. I'm good, I'll be busy as well." I did not want to be stuck with Roman for a few days to a week. Not when he was barely acknowledging my presence and I finally stopped caring. Lisa waved her hand in the air.

            "You're not going to be busy. I can easily have someone replace you for the meeting. Plus, the media believes you're happily in love with Colton. If they spot you two together, they'll only assume it's business."   

            I gritted my teeth, knowing there was no point in arguing. "Fine. When do we leave, Mr. Drakos?" I asked without turning around. I said his name formally like he asked and there was silence in the room before he responded.

            "Tonight. Pack for the cold and for business meetings for up to seven days just in case we stay there that long. I'll text you the rest of the details." Roman told me and before I could give him a response, he was gone. Lisa was already looking at her papers again and started talking.