Chapter Two

I don't like this bit nearly as much as the first chapter...but oh well...

Running, we’re running yet again. From the police, once again. Jake grabs my hand and pulls me on to a train.

“Thanks,” I breathe, slowly walking down the aisle. I look for Fresh. It’s not hard to find him though, all I have to do is listen. “Fresh!” I bring him into a hug.

“Hey Trick,” he hugs back then let’s go, reasonably quickly.

“Hey Fresh,” Jake says pulling me beside him, he’s very protective over me, but I don’t see why. I don’t know what could possibly happen between Fresh and I. It’s absurd.

“Jake, what are you guys doing down here? Aren’t you supposed to be at the orphanage?”

“Yeah we are, buuuut. We decided to do some art...”

See, the police weren’t just chasing us for no reason, they were chasing us because we were doing graffiti. I don’t generally call it graffiti though, because it’s art. It’s never anything rude, so I don’t see why we’re not allowed to, it’s showing our mind, our imagination and it’s the only way some of us can show our mind and imagination to the public. I wish more people would appreciate it.

The train stops not long after we found Fresh. We quickly get off the train, not wanting to be caught by security for not having tickets.

“Thanks Fresh, we’ll see you tomorrow?” Jake asks as the three of us get off.

“No problemo, and yeah sure,” he says dancing up the stairs. I shake my head chuckling and run after Jake who has already started up the other stairs.

“Every time, it’s the same!” I exclaim with a sigh.

“What do you mean?” he walks throw the crowd of people walking along the sidewalk.

“I mean, with our art, it’s the only chance we ever have to express our feelings in art!”

“Tricky!” he stops in front of me, holding me by my shoulders. “It wouldn’t matter if we could or not, we are nothing in this world, we’re not important! We’re just two more orphans!”

“WE ARE!” I scream at him, infuriated. “Just because we might not be very important right now, doesn’t mean we can’t grow to be! Can’t you see! We’re not just tiny little dots on this planet! We CAN be important! ARGH!” I storm off, a bunch of people staring at us. Jake’s cheeks have gone red with anger and embarrassment.

I don’t get it! Most of the time he’s a nice supportive brother, and then he turns around and says we’re nothing! I don’t even want to look at him currently. Why would you even say that. Ugh! He has no faith in us. Either of us.

Walking up the steps to the orphanage I see Lucy outside playing with some of the younger girls. She smiles at me and beckons me over, I smile back but shake my head and open the door. Miss. Cale is sitting at her desk as usual, looking over some paperwork I believe. ­

“Miss. Cale...” I say quietly as I pass by her desk.

“Not so quick Tricky!” she exclaims her voice just as high and squeaky as ever. I grunt and back step.

“What is it?”

“Where have you and your no good brother been all day? Hmm?”

“We were at the park...with some...friends...”

“Tricky Hevenshire! Don’t you dare lie to me!”

“I’m not lying!”

“If you are, I will find out, and if you are, you’re going to be in trouble...big trouble...”

“Yes Miss. Cale.”

“Hmm...that’s what I thought, now go clean up the kitchen with that Lucy Von Tran.”

“Yes Miss. Cale.”

The kitchen, well you can’t expect it to be that nice at all. It’s just an old kitchen, full of gross food, and dishes. Not that I have eaten here at all today, but I’m still stuck doing the kitchen. At least it’s with Lucy, maybe I can talk to her about what happened.

“Hey Tricky!” Lucy says brightly, a big smile across her face.

“Hey...” I reply turning on the water in the sinks.

“You okay? You and Jake came in separately today?”

“Yeah...well no...not really...you see...” I explain.

Once I’ve explained what happened Lucy gives me a look, as if I’m insane.

“Tricky hun, he’s just looking out for you, he doesn’t want to raise your hopes.”

“So he says that we’re nothing? Yeah that’s definitely not raising my hopes, but it’s lowering them into the ground,” I sigh and sit down on a stool –we’ve finished cleaning.

“He’s just being a big brother, most siblings don’t get along half as well as you and Jake, so I wouldn’t worry too much you’ll be back the same as you were before soon.”

“I hope so...”