5

Armin told us the plan on how it would just take some negotiation and monitoring to convince the people that I was more useful than a war prisoner.

We however seemed to have bigger problems at hand. We had to take horses back to the wall and none of the horses wanted to carry me...

I spent all day trying to ride on different ones and each yeeted me off their backs. This was getting hopeless. After falling down for the nth time, I finally decided.

"Captian, can't I just walk as a Titan while you guys ride...?"

The desperation in my voice would make anyone feel pity but ofcourse Levi as usual felt none of it.

"No, the shackles stay on."

Geez I dug my own grave with these things I swear. Should've just kept my mouth shut.

"You can take Jean."

Connie suggested, subtly insulting Jean, calling him a horse.

"Shut up Connie you stupid bald head!"

Here we go again. They started arguing as usual, clearly forgetting the presence standing before them as Sasha tried to calm then down.

Armin too joined in, trying to make them stop before they pissed off Levi but nothing was working. He was about to snap when I proposed a different plan.

"Captian, if I can't become a Titan or ride a horse...can't Eren just carry me as one instead?"

"Huh?"

They all finally stopped arguing and looked at me as if I said something completely absurd. Wanting to use Eren as a transport...

"That's not happening."

Mikasa chimed in. I didn't really get her obsession with Eren...I don't think she got what she felt either. Other than the matters involving Eren, she barely talked and Eren himself too didn't talk as much.

"Then what do you suggest we do?"

A silent match where me and Mikasa got locked into a staring contest. None of us had any solutions to the problem at hand.

Hanje blocked it by standing between us.

"Why don't you try riding a horse with someone. Maybe it won't throw you off if another person kept it in control."

She was right. It never occured to me that someone had to share a horse anyway because they now had an extra person to take back.

Hanje got on the horse and held out a hand for me to climb with. The horse was steady but as soon as I joined, it jumped around until we were both on the ground.

"So much for your control Hanje."

Levi mocked, clearly enjoying the situation. Hanje scoffed.

"I'd like to see you try! The woman has no luck with horses!"

Ouch. I was standing right here. Armin patted my back in support while shaking his head. I stopped sulking and realized where Hanje was going with this.

"Oh hell no! I ain't riding a horse with captian."

I'd feel like I was under surveillance if that happened and it was not a pleasant thought because he would keep observing me since I didn't have his trust yet.

He seemed almost offended at my opinion and as usual found a way to get back at me. He got on his own horse before ordering me,

"Get on."

For a guy who said I wasn't his soldier, he sure liked ordering me around anyway. Seeing I was out of options, I had no choice but to comply.

The horse didn't move this time as I mounted and adjusted myself behind Levi. Meanwhile everyone else got ready too.

"I meant infront."

Levi stated.

"You won't be able to see then captian..."

I didn't mean to insult his height, it was just a fact that mine was enough to block his view if I sat in the front.

He didn't reply as we all finally set out towards our destination.

The closer we got, the number of Titans increased. Everyone occasionally killed the ones that got too close. I was mesmerized by the way they used their gear.

The vertical maneuvering and slicing the napes of Titans as they roamed mindlessly looking for humans to eat...it was no small courage or skill the job required.

Seeing this, it was clear...everyone here could behead me in seconds if it ever came down to it, in human or Titan form. Never in my life had I seen such skill...

"Look closely Irene, if Armin's plan works, you'll have to do this too."

I nodded, agreeing with Sasha.

__________________________________________

We finally made it back and entered through the gates after days of travelling.

Huge walls stood infront of me and as we entered, the sight was anything but pretty.

They were gathering bodies and clearing up rubble left behind from some sort of great fight. What the hell happened here...I was too shocked to ask.

"This is Zeke's doing."

Levi said. His hatred seemed more justified now. This place looked awful and considering they were outside the walls for atleast a few weeks and they still weren't done with the cleanup...just how many casualties were there.

My grip on Levi's shoulders tightened unconsciously since I was lost deep in thought. He turned to glance at me but didn't say a word.

We entered a palace like place where the council was already gathered to hear the results of the exploration.

Everyone was seated and then one of them asked.

"So what did you find?"

Armin got up and started explaining.

"The sea. A huge body of water which didn't seem to ever end with salt dissolved in it."

He went on to explain how beautiful it was and then finally introduced me,

"And this is Irene, we rescued her from being killed by the Marley and wish to use her Titan in battle."

"That's absurd! She's from the enemy!"

"Yeah she could be a spy!"

They started discussing how I was a great threat to them and were set on throwing me in prison until Armin suggested something that wasn't mentioned in the plan.

"Why don't we test her worth first, see what her Titan can do."

Huh? Did he want me to showcase my skills or something?

I looked to Levi to get me out of this mess but ofcourse the bastard was enjoying my misery so I pinched his arm with a smile.

He quickly yanked it away and gave me a look. In an attempt to cross his legs, he kicked me in the shin making it seem like an accident.

I yawned and while covering my mouth, elbowed him in the stomach, playing it off just as he did- an accident.

He didn't take that one lightly and then threw me under the bus. He got up and proposed an idea which was ridiculous.

"Have her fight Eren."