02𓆉 baywatch

MAY 30TH

Kauai, Hawaii

A cold shift of storm clouds rolling in from the east with a chance of rain, high of 90° and a low of 63°

L

My eyes lay heavy, the droop is evidence of my lack of sleep. And the wind whispering between the sheer curtains held the tired peekers captive.

I'd seen differing shades of soft blues for hours, watching the deep sky slowly shift its gears. Readying for a day of blistering heat and dunes of sticky sand. Minutes melted into hours, something about the repetitiveness soothed my soul. It was all calm after those fleeting cries from my dad's room faded into the night. I'd listen to him cry himself to sleep often, it was the guilt of knowing my responsibility that kept me up.

My existence reeks of guilt.

After that left my eardrums I soaked in the swaying sea, back and forth it rocked. Tickling the shores in thunderous sounds under the moon, I didn't have to peek my head out the terrace to see the deep crackling waters. If it had been an off-day I would've let the ocean possess me, wind up on the beach. Maybe Vinny would find me passed out in the lifeguard tower, thinking I got wasted when in reality I was wasting away in the confines of my head.

The stretched denim stained through the open French doors, they clapped at the wind's will, a moving kaleidoscope of the awakening sky.

The time was stolen from me and with it the thought of sleeping. That was nonexistent when scarce chatter erupted from downstairs, lingering voices intertwined in the noise of dishes clanking. Soon to be, a dulcet smell of butter from the fresh pancakes and malasadas from down below. The soaking scent of the cafe was enough to raise my brain from the dead.

The Beachwood cafe is open, welcome for all. At least I know my dad is up.

I hadn't got a blink of sleep, nonetheless, I scooped my last bit of energy and slugged up from the chilly cotton covers. Running my frail fingers over my forehead, that smallest bit of relief comes from the action. Cold trembling hands, cold in sweat.

Any bit of discouragement erupted out from my system, replaced with a face of soft features and an aiding smile. Huffing out an exhausted breath at the sight of enlarged eye bags, my fingers press lightly over them. Stowing my lip away between my teeth.

Smile, I remind myself. Today is a good day.

The sun's out and showing her stunning face, it's windy. Ready for an incoming clash of rain, which means at some time today I will get to see the creation of multiple colors in the sky. I'll get to rest in the lifeguard tower listening to Marley without any interruptions.