Rumor Has It

A/N: This one gets a little dark and twisty and rated M-ish.

*****

Chapter 32:

Rumor Has It

Lunch was nearly over by the time they finished up in the front office with the official paperwork granting them amnesty for missing their morning classes due to court.

They passed by a trio of girls in the hallway. A frizzy haired brunette pointed at them and then whispered to the other two.

"Aww, look honey, we're famous." Emily rolled her eyes. She'd expected a fanfare, because everyone at school knew about what was going on. "The paparazzi is abuzz about our court date."

"What are you looking at?" Alison puffed up defensively, taking a threatening step towards the girls.

The girls shrieked and ran down the hallway, making noises between screams of fear and fits of laughter. Alison was primed to go after them, but Emily grabbed her arm and pulled her back.

"You have got to stop chasing people down and biting them." Emily shook her head with a laugh.

"But I get so much pleasure out of it." Alison pushed her lips out in a pout.

Emily leaned towards her and gave her a peck on the lips. They separated with an audible pop.

"I like your mouth against mine. Let's keep it that way, okay?" Emily asked.

"You taste like strawberry glaze, doughnut girl." Alison licked her lips.

Emily threw her arm around her as they walked into the cafeteria. There was a large crowd gathered around something they couldn't see. They could hear murmurs as they got closer. A few people turned around to face them.

"What's all this?" Alison asked.

The murmurs grew in volume. The crowd shifted their focus towards the two of them.

"There they are."

"Is it true?"

"I always knew she was trouble."

Someone started shoving their way through the group of students, moving at a rapid pace.

"Move!" Hanna growled, ordering everyone to part ways so she could make her way through the crowd.

Her heels clacked angrily against the floor. Emily moved forward in concern. Hanna looked miffed.

"Don't make me go Moses on your asses, because I'll make a path with my fists if you don't give me one." Hanna threatened.

"Hanna, are you okay?" Emily asked.

When Hanna heard her voice she froze. Her eyes met Emily's from across the sea of people. She pushed her way through the rest of them and rushed over to them.

"What are you guys doing here? I thought you were in court." Her eyes were wide with an expression that Emily didn't recognize.

"We finished early," Emily said. "What is everyone staring at?"

"Hanna!" Mona scurried through a bunch of freshman. "I think I got most of the flyers out of the locker rooms. Aria is pulling the ones in the library down..."

The short brunette paused in her stride when she saw Emily and Alison. The look on her face was the same one that Hanna had on hers. Sadness. Irritation. And a quiet undertone of sympathy. It suddenly dawned on Emily that people weren't staring at her because of her day in court.