Prologue

A long time ago, a magical jewel was made by the Maruvians, and it was called the Amulet of Avalor

A long time ago, a magical jewel was made by the Maruvians, and it was called the Amulet of Avalor. This ruby red jewel would protect its bearer from harm, and it was a family heirloom to the royals of Avalor, passed down from generation to generation. Queen Lucia used to wear the Amulet until she gave it to her daughter, Princess Elena, on her 15th birthday.

But sometime after Elena turned 16, Avalor was invaded by an evil power-hungry sorceress named Shuriki, who killed Lucia and King Raul. Elena bravely chose to face Shuriki by herself, so that the rest of her family would be spared. When Shuriki tried to kill Elena, the Amulet saved her life by pulling her inside it—and that's when the Amulet turned amethyst purple.

The only way Elena could get out of the Amulet was if another princess wore the jewel and was tested to see if she had what it took to get Elena out. When Elena was inside, she had a motto: "With each deed performed for better or worse, a power is granted, a blessing or curse". She would grant whoever wore the Amulet a power depending on how good or bad the deed was, not to mention based on the deed performed. If the bearer performed a good deed, Elena would grant him/her a blessing. But if the bearer performed a bad deed, she would put a curse on him/her.

Almost none of the princesses who wore the Amulet had what it took to free Elena. Duchess Matilda—older sister to King Roland II—wore the Amulet for some time until she took it off, and it wound up in the jewel room of Enchancia Castle. Roland had a twin son and daughter named Amber and James, and Elena never even chose Amber to wear the Amulet because Roland spoiled his daughter very much. Amber didn't know the first thing about being kind, much less doing good deeds, so Elena knew that if Amber wore the Amulet, she'd have put several curses on the bratty princess for every bad deed she'd done.

One day, Roland got married to a shoemaker named Miranda, who had a daughter named Sofia. Elena knew Sofia had to be the princess to free her, so when Roland was picking out a welcome gift for Sofia, Elena made the Amulet glow, meaning she wanted Sofia to wear the Amulet.

Throughout Sofia's first two years of being a princess, Elena tested the little girl. When the time came, Sofia learned the true story of the Amulet, and she decided to get Elena out.

 When the time came, Sofia learned the true story of the Amulet, and she decided to get Elena out

Once in Avalor, she got help from Mateo and the Jaquins. She stole Shuriki's wand because she needed it to get Elena out of the Amulet. Sofia, Mateo, and the Jaquins flew to the ancient civilization of Maru, and Sofia swam through the enchanted watters to the statue of Aziluna—after turning into a mermaid, of course. She placed the Amulet and wand on the crown of the statue, and after it emerged from the water, Elena was free from the Amulet after being trapped for 41 years. Elena was trapped inside the Amulet for so long that the magic rubbed off on her, and the jewel turned ruby pink.

Elena was beyond grateful for what Sofia did, and with the help of Sofia's family and the brave people of Avalor, Elena overthrew Shuriki. Sofia decided to return the Amulet to Elena, but the latter decided to let the former keep it—and Elena had seen enough of the Amulet for the rest of her life.

Sofia still couldn't believe what had happened, and she felt lucky to have such a wonderful jewel with an amazing backstory. Her friends at the Corinthian Sports School were amazed by how she'd saved Elena, not to mention her kingdom. But while it was perfectly obvious, some might ask one question: why didn't Elena pick Amber to wear the Amulet?